Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Indoor clematis......

Garden Forum » Archives » Clematis in the Garden-Archives » Clematis Archive #2- 2004 » Jan-March » Indoor clematis...... « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ingwe4  Send Ingwe4 a private message!

Click to see a larger profile photo of Ingwe4

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 11:53 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosPrint Post

I visited a nursery today for an Orchid Show and they had these two beautiful clematis, which they told us customers were Indoor Clematis and "Garland Clematis". That I could see for myself , but there were no further information about name etc.

My questions are: Do you recognize these clematis
and Is it possible to plant out them into garden later on? I have no green house.

The best clematis were sold but there'll be new next week......

Please click on the thumbnails to see an enlarged version of the photos!

Ingmarie Sweden Zone 1

Scilla  Send Scilla a private message!

Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 07:38 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosPrint Post

Ingmarie, These are fascinating, and exactly what I would love in my garden -- and which probably are there as I seem to recognize them -- but haven't the foggiest idea presently until I go through my photos and inventory to recollect which they are. Or, better yet, which they resemble exactly. And we want an exact duplicate.

I believe I'll just print these off and keep my eyes open. Surely we've seen this with a name this past year.

What a treasure you got to see these in person -- and wonderful you can go back next week and take some home.

Dreamy blossoms, aren't they!

Scilla - Washington State, Zone "5"

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 01:08 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosPrint Post

Yes wonderful blossoms Scilla! I have done some research (with help of some GardenBuddies) and if I understand it right, these clematis come from Raymond Evision's nursery. What I don't like is the "lack" of information on the labels. Is it possible for them to overwinter here in Sweden? Are these clematis worth saving or is it just a pleasure right now and fourteen days ahead and then to the "compost"? Is it only me who want more information about what I buy?

Ingmarie Sweden Zone 1

Katie  Send Katie a private message!

Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 03:26 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosPrint Post

I agree with you Ingmarie. I did an advanced search on Google for the term "Indoor Clematis" and did come up with several hits but none of them was informative. There were no hits on the term "Garland Clematis". If you go back to that nursery tell them there is no information available on these two names, could they please identify their clematis better.

Katie

Katie

Northern California Zone 8

Diveanddig  Send Diveanddig a private message!

Click to see a larger profile photo of Diveanddig

My Garden Journal
My Garden
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 07:12 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosPrint Post

Ingmarie, I would stick to group threes in your climate. Check out Finn's post on the subject here
http://www.gardenbuddies.com/forum/messages/4298/1076303.html

Bill Bird - Westchester Co., NY - Zone 6

Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 09:10 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosPrint Post

Folks, check the front cover of Evison's "The Gardener's Guide to Growing Clematis". We've seen how names are randomly tacked on a clematis for the marketing convenience or at the whim of the grower. Frankly, I am of the opinion this is William Kennett, grown indoors and forced into bloom.

Or check CotW
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=599

My own indoor blossoming has been the tepals are not quite the same development as grown outside, and this clematis could very well be Hybrida Sieboldii (Ramona), William Kennett, or another of our luscious lavender-lilacs
Upload

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 01:21 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosPrint Post

Thank you for your posts. Of course I'll stick to the group 3 clematis and the viticellas Bill! But when I see a clematis in a nursery, I can help being interested .....
Ramona is a good suggestion Scilla! I have thought about Königskind, a dwarf clematis from Westphal in Germany.

Ingmarie Sweden Zone 1

Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 01:55 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosPrint Post

Hmmm, Ingmarie, you are right about Konigskind -- here is mine from 2002, and with the underside of a tepal showing, sure is similar to that which you saw.
Upload

Kvb  Send Kvb a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 10:03 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosPrint Post

Ingmarie, you don't think it might be Ekstra, do you? The foliage colour is paler than many varieties, and that seems to match your photo:

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=157

My only other idea is that it might be a Japanese variety - I believe they grow them indoors more than we do, and also give them as gifts like we do with cut flowers...maybe that explains the strange name

Kate in Suffolk Zone 8

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 11:13 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosPrint Post

Hi! From one of my Swedish GardenBuddies I got the answer. These two are clematis florida, the light blue one C. florida Petite Anna and the darker one C. florida Parisienne (?). Petite Anna I found at CotW, but Parisienne no! CotW confirms that Petite Anna is a florida from Raymond Evision. It had been better with C. florida on the label instead of "Garland Clematis"!!!! So if you can grow a clematis florida in your garden, I guess these two are ok to plant out in the garden after flowering, but it's too cold for them here in Sweden. We have had frost in the ground now for seven weeks, and have snow only a few days. Do any of you know if Raymond Evision has a web site? Thank you all for your kind help!

Ingmarie Sweden Zone 1

Diveanddig  Send Diveanddig a private message!

Click to see a larger profile photo of Diveanddig

My Garden Journal
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 10:40 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosPrint Post

Ingmarie, Raymond's website address is http://www.guernsey-clematis.com/

Bill Bird - Westchester Co., NY - Zone 6

Timo  Send Timo a private message!

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 02:45 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosPrint Post

Look also here: http://www.poulsenroser.dk/

Timo

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 08:29 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosPrint Post

http://www.poulsenroser.dk/default.asp?Sprog=4&usercng=OK

And here is the clematis page in English -- with the "Gardini Collection"

Timo, thank you!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 09:46 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosPrint Post

Thank you very much for your kind information! I even found a better picture than my picture above of C. Parisienne! A boulevard clematis, not a boudoir clematis.....Raymond Evison says: "After they (the clematis) have finished flowering, they can be planted in the garden, treated as garden clematis and grown with other host plants such as roses".

Well, we have had -16C this year. I wonder if the clematis florida really can stand that temperature...

A new clematis with the name Blue Ice looked very beautiful.

Ingmarie Sweden Zone 1

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 01:42 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosPrint Post

Earlier there was a picture on the Poulsen-pages with the text PETITE ANNA Gardini Evison/Poulsen 'Evithree'. This looks confusing, because 'Evithree' is ANNA LOUISE (Early Large-flowered group). But according to CotW PETITE ANNA is a sport of ANNA LOUISE.
In the Garland group there are some C. floridas, but maybe not in the other groups.

Timo

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 01:46 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosPrint Post

Garland collection they call it.

Timo

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 03:01 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosPrint Post

Thank you Timo! Here is another picture of C. Petite Anna. It is taken of a Swedish GardenBuddy and is posted to the garden lists of the swedish garden magazine Allt om Trädgård. It is said there that it's not a clematis for swedish winters.

Ingmarie Sweden Zone 1

Suzymac  Send Suzymac a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Garden
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 04:56 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosPrint Post

Ingmarie, I probably would have bought those myself, just because they're so pretty and the winter makes us all so excited for spring colors. But, I try to be wary of group 2's now. They don't like the cold here.

By the way, what do you think this means:
(I'n not exactly sure)
"C. Parisienne! A boulevard clematis, not a boudoir clematis" .....
So, does Mr. Evison mean that C. Parisianne get large ?

Suzy

Suzymac - Massachusetts, Zone "6-7"

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 08:51 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosPrint Post

I loved this website - the Poulsen/Evison one, and foresee names of "collections", such as Suzymac's Collection, Scilla's Collection, and all the others from those of us you have encouraged into our seedlings.

From the variances we have seen in seedlings' blossoms, surely we will come up with some very lovely clematis -- I am one excited girl!!!

Thank you for showing us these websites, and Ingmarie, for pursuing these lovely ones and sharing them with us.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright ©2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com