Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Mulch experiment - what do you think?

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Composting and Soil Amendments-Archives » Mulch experiment - what do you think? « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cahenry  Send Cahenry a private message!

Click to see a larger profile photo of Cahenry

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 10:47 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

What do you think?
This is an experiment. I usually mulch with mini nuggets but was hoping to come up with some easily accessible mulch materials - besides leaves and purchased barks.
There are some really good reasons why this might work.
I have mountains of them. They will deter slugs (I've read this) and probably larger critters (dogs, for instance) from the bed because they are quite sharp and unpleasant to walk on. They allow air to get to the roots while shading them. They stick together so they will probably stay put. They don't break down for several seasons (more like years).
On the other hand, I will be pulling sweet gum seedlings out - but that's not too difficult when they are small. And the birds have done a good job of eating the seeds so far and will no doubt continue to work on them.
Well, its an idea. When you have many mature sweet gum trees, there just seems there has to be something you can do with these things.

Upload

cahenry (Cathy) GA Zone 7 Click to hear a voice greeting from Cahenry

Ladybugkaren  Send Ladybugkaren a private message!

Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 10:55 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi Cathy,
What a great looking mulch. I love the texture. And it deters slugs??? Maybe you can start a new business :)
Karen

Ladybugkaren,NB,Canada,4b

Kniceone  Send Kniceone a private message!

My Garden Journal
My Weather
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:37 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Cathy they do look very novel but what are they? I am not familiar with sweet gum tree so is this like a pine cone? They almost look like teasels.

Jodi, ONT, Z4, Great White North Click to hear a voice greeting from Kniceone

Cahenry  Send Cahenry a private message!

Click to see a larger profile photo of Cahenry

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 12:10 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

They're sweet gum balls. LOL. The tree they fall from is Liquidambar styraciflua. The fruit is about a 1" round prickly ball. They are very sturdy and last a remarkably long time.

cahenry (Cathy) GA Zone 7 Click to hear a voice greeting from Cahenry

Gardenshowlady  Send Gardenshowlady a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:09 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

And they hurt real bad when you step on them with barefeet!!

I think this is a great idea. I have a boatload of them too...
I think I will try this on a bed or 2. The mulch looks very nice.

Gardenshowlady

Caracol  Send Caracol a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:51 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

AMAZING IDEA, Cathy!!
And the colour looks great as contrast for green leaves.
Maybe chestnuts would do, too. Well, the squirrels would have moved them into storage by now. ;->>

Or the the fruit of the Platanus, which is quite similar to the Liquidambar fruit and more common here in our environment, as we don't get so many big liquidambars here (still a bit of a novelty) but lots of huge Plane trees.

Caracol - Southern UK - Zone 8

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com