Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Does anyone grow figs?

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Does anyone grow figs? « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kniphofia  Send Kniphofia a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 07:38 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

My local nursery has a lovely Brown Turkey fig in a pot and I'd love to try it. I understand they can be kept in a pot and grown outdoors in the summer and brought inside when dormant and put in a basement.

Has anyone had any experience growing figs?

Upload

Upload

Sue Central Maine Zone 4

Rosemary  Send Rosemary a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 08:52 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

My parents grew them outdoors and *buried* them in the winter by covering them. They'd wrap the figs (after gathering up the branches and tying them) with chicken wire. Fill the chicken wire with leaves and then wrap burlap around the chicken wire. They had tons of figs. I miss those figs. They were in zone 5.

Ro, CT Zone 5

Monique  Send Monique a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 08:59 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I LOVE figs.
With fresh Parmigiana cheese.. a glass of red wine.
Heaven.
Even in Montreal,people grow figs..But you must make a trench here and bury the trees..
They must be in a small microclimate also.
In summer, in Little Italy, I can buy a small crate..
Lately here they are $1.50 each..Too dear .
They are also the epitome of beauty to me as far as a fruit goes when it is quartered perfectly and glistening.
A whisper of fine balsamic vinegar ..aahhh..

Monique Quebec Zone 5

Caracol  Send Caracol a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 09:30 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Here in zone 8 we can grow them outside and you do see very large trees in sheltered locations. South-facing walls with lots of sunshine are ideal.

The problem is often that the growing season is too short to get a decent sized fruit you could eat, especially if late frost kills the buds and it's all back to square one.

Growing them in pots is a great idea, not only because you can move them around, but also because figs should have restricted roots: 2x2x2ft. is supposed to be the ideal size for a tub.

A friend of mind saw them in their native habitat in Cyprus, where they grow on cliffs, ie. not much soil for the roots, and also: alkaline conditions.

Caracol - Southern UK - Zone 8

Ej  Send Ej a private message!

Click to see a larger profile photo of Ej

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:56 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have the turkey fig tree which has been growing about 4 years. I love the fruit in a bowl of milk. I also HAD a seedless king fig the gophers found its roots very tasty.

Ej So.Cal. Zone 10a Click to hear a voice greeting from Ej

Cahenry  Send Cahenry a private message!

Click to see a larger profile photo of Cahenry

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:02 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

They grow outside here fine. The one I planted is still quite small but did have a couple figs last year. The parent Brown Turkey fig tree (planted at the nursery where I work several decades ago) is at least 12 feet tall and wide by early summer. It was cut down to a few feet of the ground this last week to control its size but will back in no time.
There isn't any problem with season length here either just a challenge to get the ripe figs before the birds do.

cahenry (Cathy) GA Zone 7 Click to hear a voice greeting from Cahenry

Gardenshowlady  Send Gardenshowlady a private message!

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 02:53 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Cahenry wrote on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 04:44 pm:

just a challenge to get the ripe figs before the birds do.

Exactly my problem too! I plan to pick every year around the 4th of July. That way the birds have only picked at a few of them.

Gardenshowlady - Carolina Lowcountry, Zone "8b"

Pdxjules  Send Pdxjules a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 04:40 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

You'll appreciate the expertise in the Fig Forum at GardenWeb.com. I enjoyed Pink-inside figs in July from a neighbor's huge tree, that was sheltered on the south side of my house. So at my current place I planted a couple varieties to bear at different times. And also too saplings to 2 friends in case mine didn't make it.

This year I used craigslist.org to score a HUGE harvest of fall figs from someone else's fall-fruting tree. This was after a rain and they were worried about rot and bugs - which happens fast in sweet fruit. So, I used a ladder and filled many plastic bags, picking all soft ones, including many that were not yet fully ripe, as long as they showed signs of sagging or splitting...as those cells are ready to break down and are great for cooking.

At home, I quickly rinsed and stemmed most of the gooshy ones into a big pot, filled right to the top, and made a wonderful fig sauce. Now I plan to do that every year. Just squeeze a lemon into the figs, and add a little brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg if you like. It's easier to make than applesuce...but you cook figs longer on slow heat and stir now and then, until they become a light brown smooth sauce. Ladle into sterile jars and refrigerate. (I boiled my jars & lids, but keep them in the fridge anyway - as I didn't have time to read canning recipes on how long the sweet stuff might keep in the pantry, and I don't have a food processor. This sauce is wonderful on Molasses cake, toast, or waffles.

Pdxjules - Oregon, Zone "8 (rain Oct-May)" Click to hear a voice greeting from Pdxjules

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 03:13 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

This is an old thread, but it reminded me of a picture of my dad standing in front of his fig tree and I had to post it. We are not sure of the variety but it has made a bigger tree than we normally see in the area. The fruit are smallish and brownish purple when ripe with pink inside. They are so good and sweet. Fresh figs to me are a delicacy I suppose because they are not usually available in the grocery store and there is such a small window where they are available even back home in Louisiana, where my parents live. We make fig preserves out of them. Very sweet and sticky :-). Like my grandmother use to do. Sugar and figs..thats all it takes. My favorite way to eat them though is fresh and mashed up in a bowl with a tiny bit of sugar sprinkled on them. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. The taste of summer!

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

Valia  Send Valia a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 05:20 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I'm so glad this thread came up again or I would have missed it. I love figs, especially fresh ones and definitely plan to try to grow one.

I'm so glar your dad stood in front of that fig tree all those years ago, Susan.

Anne, Washington State, Zone 5

Gardengoddess  Send Gardengoddess a private message!

My Time
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 03:01 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Susan and Anne .... I have a fig tree ... 10 years old, first two years in a pot, the last 8 in ground. I started getting figs in her 4th year. The figs are green on the outside and pink sweet and juicy inside ... and are the size of a kiwi! Nope, not kidding. I'll send pics of the ripe figs in August. My brother started my tree from an old fig tree he had in his yard (bought the house from an Italian couple who told him they had brought a cutting from Italy in the 1960's.) True or not, I don't know ... but these figs are amazing and each year I get folks coming by just to eat a couple of figs. I'm starting 2 or 3 new fig trees this year (early June) and putting them in containers for a couple of years, then transplant. The trees like to be near the house, or even against the house in a sunny spot, they don't like wind! And they like a lot of water in the summer.

Gardengoddess - B.C., Zone "8a"

Mother_nature  Send Mother_nature a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 03:34 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

We had figs in MS. We brought a rooted cutting to TN. This fall it was surrounded in chicken wire and filled with leaves. I'm eager to see what happens this year. Celeste is the variety.

Mother_nature - TN, Zone "6"

Scotkat  Send Scotkat a private message!

My Garden Journal
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 04:04 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have never tasted fresh figs but now in the mood as I had fig yogurt on my breakfast cereal this week and so enjoyed the taste made me want fresh figs.
Is there a special time of year to buy

Scotkat - Scotland, Zone "?"

Mariae  Send Mariae a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 10:21 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Scotkat, it is a pity because they are great!
I have a very easy recipe to conserve them for months, but you need fresh figs to make it.

Did you get fresh strawberries and bananas in Scotland? I have visited your country about five times (in summer) and I love your landscape.

Mariae - Europe, Zone "?"

Monique  Send Monique a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 10:41 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I wonder if I could grow one here!! I love fresh figs..theyt are a small fortune here.

Figs.. a glass of wine and some Parmigiano..Ohohohohohohoh!!!

Suzy..That's an amzing photo!! Like a Miracle Grow commercial!

M_N..Your bowl of figs..is a painting to me! a mouth watering painting!

Monique Quebec Zone 5

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 03:20 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Monique wrote on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 08:53 am:

That's an amzing photo!! Like a Miracle Grow commercial!

Hahaha Your right. Like the Giant pumpkins or ears of corn. I had a fig like that once in Spain... HUGEEEEEE A whole meal. I do love this picture of my father for some reason. It's just so Him! No smiling in pictures, like in the old days. Its a family joke with us.

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 09:52 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I've made note of the details you provided, Maria, and have picked out a couple of spots to plant figs at our new place in Southern Utah. The local nursery (just 1.9 miles away) carries several types of fig plants in fairly large pots, which I find very promising. My mouth is watering already.

4 years ... can I wait that long?

I'll have to find out when the different varieties fruit there so that we can be sure to be around at the right time.

Thanks, Maria.

Anne, Washington State, Zone 5

Sueanne  Send Sueanne a private message!

Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 01:00 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I am so happy to have three fig trees in my gardens. One of them grows the large figs that fit in the palm of my hand. The other two grow the smaller size but are easier to grow and give you bite size fruit. The squirrels here are my biggest problem. They know when they are ripe. I do freeze them for later use. They can be added to many dishes even spaghetti sauce. This tree was started from a branch from a tree I had bought for my Sister fifteen years ago. It only take about three years for a branch to produce fruit. I start picking in June thru Oct. What a treat to have your own trees. Plant Forum

Plant Forum

Plant Forum

Plant Forum

Sueanne - Florida, Zone "9"

John_ny  Send John_ny a private message!

Supporting Member

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 06:24 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have some; I guess they are Brown Turkey. We usually just wrap them up for the winter. This year, I didn't get around to it, but it came back fine.

John_ny - NY, Zone "USDA Zone 7 Sunset Zone 34"

Supporting Member

Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 11:36 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Our fig tree (brown Turkey) is growing rapidly. The leaves are very dense. There are a few small figs. I hope they hang in there and ripen for us. Our neighbors have figs that are almost mature.

Valia - UT (winter) WA (summer), Zone "8 and 5"

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 01:27 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I bought a brown turkey this spring! I have it in a very large pot. I thought it was dead it took so long to bud out. Still today the leaves are just unfurling but I am ecstatic to say...I HAVE FIGS!! okay so there are only 4 of them..but still.

Mrmunk  Send Mrmunk a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 12:24 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I only have one Brown Turkey and it does almost too well! We usually get a big late Spring crop and one more mid Autumn crop. I prune it back to about 4 feet tall every Winter and by June it's a good 10 feet tall and 12 feet spread. Right now it has probably 200 to 250 figs. I don't know about the hardiness in your zone but I do know they are very frost sensitive. Mine are on a South facing brick wall and drink from the air conditioning condensation all Summer.

Here is a first year photo:

Mrmunk - Georgia, Zone "7b"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com