Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Tomatoes

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Tomatoes « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Willem  Send Willem a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:19 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

A bit late this year.

Willem Victoria Australia

Kniceone  Send Kniceone a private message!

My Garden Journal
My Weather
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 04:23 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Oh nice crop Willem. I haven't even started my seeds yet.

Jodi, ONT, Z4, Great White North Click to hear a voice greeting from Kniceone

Euphorbphreak  Send Euphorbphreak a private message!

Click to see a larger profile photo of Euphorbphreak

My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 05:31 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

YUM! I do miss the months of the year without fresh tomatoes. I have 12 seedlings ready to go out next weekend.

David, the other CA, 9b/17

Karalyn  Send Karalyn a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 02:28 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

WEll, how are everyone's tomatoes? I finally planted my seedlings out a while ago, but went to Edward's Green house in Boise, Idaho and they are giving their tomato and pepper plants away free.

They told me to take all I want, cuz they will be going into the dumpster! I did my best after shopping previously at a stone shop, and 2 other nurseries and before that a visit to the vet for my sheltie.

It was a very hot day in Boise too! Whew!
Anyway, I bought 4 more clematis and two new cranesbills. Then saw the sign for free tomatoes and peppers. Wasn't sure what they were giving away. The actual vegetable or plant. Then when I returned to my van, I saw the green house that had hundreds of these plants and asked about them.

I got what I could handle and varieties I've never heard of, such as: green grapes, Tiny Time, Striped Old fashion, German Strawberry, Banana, Mexican Midget, and more.

Also, I mainly took different sweet peppers. Not ready to even attempt the hot peppers yet.

So I have different colors of those and types too.

Now to find places to put them. I potted up many of the tomatoes that should be smaller plants and I have some ideas for the others. But the places just arent' prepared for them just yet.

So they might join my perennial flower garden.

Karalyn Idaho Zone 6

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 02:51 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Mine are still only 6-8 inches high and have been in the ground for a couple of weeks. We've had an unusually cool summer, so they are just sitting around and not growing. At least they are green and healthy. Not a great year for tomatoes and beans so far. On the other hand, I'm about to be inundated with more peas than I know what to do with.

Greg, ND Zone 4 Click to hear a voice greeting from Greg

Jak3  Send Jak3 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 11:16 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Yes, I started my tomatoes in the greenhouse at the beginning of April and set them outside at the beginning of June. They are now about a foot high and do have flowers, but they are slow. On the other hand, the spinach, radishes and lettuce are great and I am on my second sowing of these.

Greg, when the garlic puts up flower stalks and they curl around, is it correct to then cut those off? If yes, then mine are ready.

Julie; Merrickville, Ontario, Canada, Zone 4

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 01:10 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Julie, yes, cutting off the garlic scapes does help the bulbs grow larger. But, they are not ready to harvest yet. Keep them in the ground until the leaves begin to dye. A good rule of thumb is to harvest garlic when only 3 leaf stalks remain green on the plant.

Those garlic scapes are delicious. Cut them up and stir fry them in your favorite chinese recipe. YUM!

Greg, ND Zone 4 Click to hear a voice greeting from Greg

Jak3  Send Jak3 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 09:45 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks, Greg. Those scapes will be dinner tonight!!

Julie; Merrickville, Ontario, Canada, Zone 4

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com