Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Help in the veg garden!

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Help in the veg garden! « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gardenbug  Send Gardenbug a private message!

Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 01:28 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

DD lives in Edmonton Alberta, but will be on the east coast from May to the end of August at least, working on her thesis.
She moves into a new place this April and has a space about 10x20 feet to garden. She and her partner are vegetarians and want to grow their own food to save a few pennies. Trouble is, they'd need to plant at the end of April. Friends have agreed to water it, maybe eat some of it too, while they are off working. They would return in September, hoping to harvest their carrots and cabbages then I suppose.

My question is, WHAT could they plant that early? The ground is still very frozen there. She is thinking of carrots, cabbages, kale, chard, zucchini, cucumbers...

I am thinking rabbits, voles....

Gardenbug Ontario zone 4b/5b

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:44 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hmm -- are the friends willing to weed also? If not, I would think weeds will rule. However, there may be something there in the end. You are sure asking for a tall order! Carrots, cabbages, beets can be planted that early just fine and I suspect there would be quite a bounty in September if allowed to grow. Other root vegetables? Potatoes should work. Kale and Chard probably have a shorter growing time and may bolt or grow tough in the summer heat I think, before September, but I don't really know. The friends could enjoy those. Peas can also be planted early early - but they would need to be harvested in June or maybe July. Zucchini and cucumbers probably will not work as they like the soil to be a little bit warmer. Bean seeds will definitely rot away if planted in cool soil - they require soil to be >65 degrees or something like that. Onions would work out well for you.

Greg, ND Zone 4 Click to hear a voice greeting from Greg

Gardenbug  Send Gardenbug a private message!

Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 03:36 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks so much Greg!

Gardenbug Ontario zone 4b/5b

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com