Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Brussel Sprouts in cold soil?

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Brussel Sprouts in cold soil? « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:39 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Ok - I have not grown brussel sprouts before. Does anyone know if the seeds can be sown in cold soil, or do I need to wait until it gets a bit warmer.

Thanks.

Greg, ND Zone 4 Click to hear a voice greeting from Greg

Lulubelle  Send Lulubelle a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:42 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

No idea, Greg....I have always bought mine in flats and planted only in late May when all fear of frost is over. Never ended up with good crop either, they were always eaten by slugs and insects.

Lulubelle, zone 5, Quebec, Canada

Gardenbug  Send Gardenbug a private message!

Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:55 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have grown them from store bought seedlings too. Like Lulu, mine were pretty chewed up by insects, but when harvested, I just removed the outer parts and everything was fine inside. They are a good crop in that you can harvest AFTER snow begins. I found it was a lot of work cleaning them and lots of fat stems remain for the compost heap. I like the idea, but I think I'll pass this year. Tell me how it goes for you! DD loves them with lemon juice, pecans and butter. DS considers them a severe punishment...loathes them!

Gardenbug Ontario zone 4b/5b

Eve  Send Eve a private message!

Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 02:46 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I grow them but being upside down to you are probably not much help. I always plant the seed in December which is the equivalent of your June I guess.

Eve New Zealand

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 10:54 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks for the comments. I believe brussel sprouts take a while to harvest, so I do need to plant them early. Otherwise, by October/November, they will be frozen solid. Perhaps I'll start them indoors.

Greg, ND Zone 4 Click to hear a voice greeting from Greg

Scotia  Send Scotia a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 03:47 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

They are quite hardy and providing the soil is not to wet or frozen you can sow them outdoors.

Try this method; Sow a few seeds 5-10mm deep and cover with sieved soil or compost. Water them in, then take a plastic bottle and cut the bottom off it and place the bottomless bottle over the spot you have sown the seeds.

Effectively you have created a miniature greenhouse for them to grow in.

If the area you sow them in is exposed to prevailing winds stick a cane down through the neck of the bottle into the soil and this will secure it.

When the seedlings are about 150mm tall dig them up and thin them out into their final quarters.

Best of luck.

Scotia - Holmfirth, Zone "UK"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com