Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Question for Obelisk users

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Decorating Your Garden-Archives » Question for Obelisk users « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bloomorselse  Send Bloomorselse a private message!

Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 10:31 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have waited all winter to try out my new obelisk that DH made me late last summer. It has a 20 inch opening at the bottom, so am thinking I could probably plant a clematis inside. Could I plan two together, or would it be too crowded. My concern is should it be anchored down so if we get a heavy wind it doesn't fall over and rip the plant out of the ground. How would I tie it down? Any suggestions appreciated. It's almost time to plant.

Bloomorselse

Sunnyday2day  Send Sunnyday2day a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 01:15 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I would definitely anchor it down. If you plant clematis in there it'd be hard to trim them in the spring. I plant a climbing rose inside and clematis on the outside.
Tanya

Sunnyday2day

Pilgrim  Send Pilgrim a private message!

Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 01:07 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Bloomor,
I would just drive a wooden stake at each corner and if the structure is wood, screw them together, if not then lash them together some how with rope or nylon coated wire. It is according to the height of the structure and which Clematis you plant...two small growing Clematis would be fine...I would think.
Hope this helps you.

Brian SW Virginia Zone6

Pussywillow  Send Pussywillow a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 10:30 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I'm just a new member here so kinda late on how to anchor your obelisk down. We live out in the country where there is wide open space and we do have some very strong winds at time. I have 4 obelisk out in my yard and we take about a 6foot piece of re-bar, position them at each corner and then pound in the ground about 3 feet and then using those zipties to secure the re-bar to the obelisk. They hold up very well to the winds out here.

Pussywillow - Somewhere/No where USA, Zone "7B/8"

Kvilledude  Send Kvilledude a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 11:39 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I do the same as you Pussywillow but I use stainless steel hose clamps to connect the rebar with the obelisk legs.

Kvilledude - North Carolina, Zone "7A"

Bloomorselse  Send Bloomorselse a private message!

Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 02:10 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I planted Ville de Lyon in the middle of it this Spring, and drove some stainless steel pipes down about 2 feet, and used some vinyl coated wire to secure the obelisk to it. It hasn't moved. Next year will be VdL's 3rd year, and I am anxious to see it in bloom. Only had about 8 or 10 blooms this year.

Joan New Brunswick Zone 4b

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com