Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Do you let things bolt?

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Do you let things bolt? « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 07:48 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Some things I do because the flowers are so lovely. Like this cilantro now in full bloom. Can't wait for the corriader seeds to develop. I like to eat the seeds green on salads and when dried, they self seed here every year. I also harvest the seeds for the corriander.

Greg, ND Zone 4 Click to hear a voice greeting from Greg

Jak3  Send Jak3 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 10:17 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Very attractive. I have never grown this, I don't have a big space, only three 4 X 8 foot raised beds, so i have to be pretty choosy what I plant. We eat everything before it bolts *smile*. I do have a clump of garlic chives, however, in one of my flower beds, and I grow it for it's lovely white flowers in late summer/early fall. It too seeds everywhere. I also collect the seeds - so if anyone wants any - send me an e-mail!

Julie; Merrickville, Ontario, Canada, Zone 4

Valia  Send Valia a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 04:05 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Some for flowers
Some for seed
Some for pods
What other reason would I need?

Long live open-pollinated varieties!

Here are some carrot seed pods I harvested in the fall of 1999. A friend gave me one dried umbel when we moved into town off the mountain in July that year, and I allowed some to go to seed. The seed is almost gone now, but the dried umbels would still add to an arrangement.

Anne, Washington State, Zone 5

Monique  Send Monique a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 05:17 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

They look just like Ammi or Queen Anne's Lace..!Amazing..

Monique Quebec Zone 5

Treelover  Send Treelover a private message!

Posted on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 08:02 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Never heard of cilantro, clearly an umbelifer, and quite a sight!

Treelover - County Durham, Zone "8/9"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 02:20 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Oh, I'm surprised. Cilantro is the most used herb in the world. The dried seed is called Coriander and used extensively in Indian food. The fresh leaves are used also in Mexican food, Indian food, and extensively throughout Asia. It is sometimes referred to as "Chinese Parsley".

Greg, ND Zone 4 Click to hear a voice greeting from Greg

Susanq  Send Susanq a private message!

Click to see a larger profile photo of Susanq

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:51 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I'm not fond of cilantro- at least not lots of it in a recipe but I love the flowers, Greg!

SusanQ - Zone 4b-5b Wisconsin

Treelover  Send Treelover a private message!

Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 12:00 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

oh Ive heard of coriander,never realised it had another name!

Treelover - County Durham, Zone "8/9"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com