Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Chinese Wolfberry (Lycium barbarum)

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Chinese Wolfberry (Lycium barbarum) « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 01:39 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Chinese Wolfberry (Lycium barbarum)

http://eivohk.notlong.com/ 26 February 2008 Chinese Wolfberry (Lycium barbarum)

The Chinese Wolfberry pods were planted on 10 February 2008. Due to ignorance the whole pod was planted, but it is only necessary to plant one seed per plant. They were thinned and the stronger plant will be kept as they get larger. Germination was about 10 days and it appears maybe planting the pod is a good idea, since the germination was probably 100%. The plant is a perennial. Fruit production is in the third and fourth year.

There is an excellent place to grow them in my garden, so it will be interesting to see if they thrive in my Zone 5.

Here is some information about the plant. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfberry

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5B"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephie  Send Stephie a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 01:51 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have wolfberry in my zone 8 growing in the greenhouse because they will not "take" here. The experience of others in this region are the same...if you happen to find the perfect spot it will be because the wolfberry thinks it's perfect! I contacted an agriculturalist in California who was also stumped by this odd behavior. Coastal B.C. is acidic in soil; the only real problem I can see....I have one stunted wolfberry outside but the ones in the greenhouse are doing great guns. The berries I have tried dried (commercial) and they are very very good.....so my experience has been disappointing (for outside plants).

Stephie

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com