Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Leap Day promises

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Leap Day promises « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Valia  Send Valia a private message!

Supporting Member

Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 04:59 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Taken 2/29/08

Sugar Sprint peas

Plant Forum

Celebrity tomato

Plant Forum

Tilton apricot

Plant Forum

cauliflower "Amazing"

Plant Forum

I pricked out the cauliflower seedlings a few days ago, and the next day a cat (probably ours) had ripped out the center of the bed. We had a scrap of chain link fence left over from fencing the dogs out of the garden, just the right size to protect the bed. Fozzie (the cat) has been grumbling and glaring at me ever since I laid it out there. Yesterday I planted radish and carrot seeds in the bare spots.

Anne

Valia - UT (winter) WA (summer), Zone "8 and 5"

Heirloomgardens  Send Heirloomgardens a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Garden
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:00 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Tomatoes already? Wow, must be nice. What are your temps?

I see that you have small rocks all over the top of your gardens. Are they directly on top of the dirt or is there something like landscape fabric separating the rocks from the dirt? How do you keep the dirt from mixing in with the rocks from year to year and making the whole thing look ratty? I have a hard time keeping my rock paths looking nice, never mind trying to dig plants in and out of rock beds every year. Yours look very nice.

Heirloomgardens - Massachusetts, Zone "5b"

Stephie  Send Stephie a private message!

Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 02:54 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

That's my question too. I know plants love this but not my back. The secret is?????

Stephie

Supporting Member

Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:42 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

There's red lava rock in the front yard and large gravel in the back.

I copied the following from a post I just made in the bulbs forum:

The developers here brought in two feet of "fill dirt" which is pure, sticky orange clay (hardpan). It sucks things in when wet and is like adobe when dry. According to a neighbor, this rests on a deep gravel bed -- believable because we are two blocks from the county gravel pit. On top of the hardpan there is a layer of heavy plastic, then about three inches (on average) of decomposing red scoria, a lightweight lava rock formed from volcanic froth.

The clay is awful. I don't like using a plastic layer where I have flower beds, and removed some of it, only to learn that it was not a weed barrier but a clay barrier. The clay sucks the mulch down and uses it to make concrete. Not so bad in the front yard with the lightweight rock, but terrible in the back where the mulch is large gravel.

I love the lava rock. With a little added organic matter, it makes great soil. The weeds like it, too. And the neighborhood cats. It's local material. There are several inactive volcanoes in the region.

As for temps -- this is desert, so temps vary more than in other climes. We've already had some daytime highs in the high 70's (F), but we may have occasional frosty nights until mid-April, and yesterday's high was only 55.

The tomatoes were purchased as large plants. Our temperatures often climb over 110 degrees F in June, so we need to start early if we want things like peas or lettuce. Even tomatoes don't do well in that heat.

Heirloomgardens  Send Heirloomgardens a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 11:49 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

WOW.

WOW.

You are working wonders, Anne. Talk about challenging! I am simply stunned. Thanks for the info. Not exactly sure how I will apply that info to my own yard, though, except to be grateful for what I have. LOL!

Heirloomgardens - Massachusetts, Zone "5b"

Supporting Member

Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 02:03 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks, DJ, but I haven't done much, yet. CErtainly not compared with what you have done. I'm just getting over my depression about the situation here and have convinced myself that there are things I can do. Fencing the dogs out was a big step. There's a lot of trial and error to come!

Supporting Member

Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:32 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

13 days later --- the others don't look all that different, but:

Plant Forum

DH counted 16 blossoms. I hope we get at least two apricots!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com