Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Just turned the garden over

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Just turned the garden over « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephie  Send Stephie a private message!

Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 02:45 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

And I haven't even started my veggies yet! Going to direct plant garlic and peas...then start the others ....I find the plants grow just as well starting late than early because there is just something about sunlight that no man-made light can duplicate...everything grows faster and seemingly happier! My friend starts her tomatoes in early March....I'll start them mid-April and we'll both be putting our plants out at the same height and getting tomatoes at the same time. (she sometimes loses some to unexpected cold spells while I stick to the May 24th rule). Found that direct sowing of cukes and squash gets better results too and not as much slug damage. Some times I think plants get spoiled in the greenhouse and have to do some recovery after transplantation and do not develop slug-resistence while bathing in greenhouse warmth and comfort! Like the rest of life, challenges make us stronger (or like to think that anyways)!!

Stephie

Oldiebutgoodie  Send Oldiebutgoodie a private message!

Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 03:00 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

In which zone do you live, Stephie? Here in Zone 5, I seed everything except tomatoes and cantaloupes. I've never tried onions from seed, although one of my sons-in-law does it successfully. I start mine from bulbs.

We have such a large garden, I could never start enough plants in the house. I don't have a greenhouse, so I throw everything into the soil, weed like crazy, and wait for the harvest.

Oldiebutgoodie - Ontario, Zone "5"

Stephie  Send Stephie a private message!

Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 05:20 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I'm in Zone 8 (coastal B.C.) I have found onions from seed to be quite successful except that you really have to thin them to keep those onion maggots away...hence, I use bulbs planted at least six inches apart (evidently, maggots are lazy)I agree that it's much easier to direct seed (except those "hotties" like tomatoes, melons, peppers etc)....I'll be starting cassabanana (and am actually late on this one) and we tend to get very warm, prolonged Autumns so that helps.

Stephie

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com