Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Older strawberry patch

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Older strawberry patch « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gtokitty  Send Gtokitty a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 04:06 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi once again! the questions never end! lol. Ok I have a strawberry patch in my vegetable garden. It has been there for at least 9 years, and from what I'm reading that is a super old patch. IT used to produce mass amounts of strawberries up until last year. The number declined drastically. I don't just want to till them under and then have to buy new plants and start again next year. I really enjoy picking the strawberries and eating them. Even if its right off the plant. My questions are this.. How do I replant this strawberry plant or train new leaders (read that somewhere online to do that) to grow a new patch? Or should I just call it quits with the patch I have and kill it. IT still produced one large bowl of strawberries, but they were smaller in size and not as sweet as they were before. The patch is at least 4'x4' Or maybe they just need some food and more water? They greens of the plants are healthy and disease free and they grow very large and green for such an old plant.

Hope to have some answers or get directed in the right direction. I have read up on this but I"m not into the whole lingo of plant terms.

Gtokitty - Ontario, Zone "6a"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephie  Send Stephie a private message!

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:19 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

While normally strawberries should be renewed about every three years with either their runners or new plants, you may just need to add fertlizer, especially bonemeal or anything that stimulates fruit production like the berry fertlizers. The plants are healthy, they may just need a kick-start. I grow alpines so am not too familiar with domesticated strawberry patches...only with what my friend does.

Stephie

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com