Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
First harvest 2008

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » First harvest 2008 « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Valia  Send Valia a private message!

Supporting Member

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:07 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Plant Forum

Valia - UT (winter) WA (summer), Zone "8 and 5"

Heirloomgardens  Send Heirloomgardens a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Garden
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 08:20 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Mmm, very pretty. It's been a while since I've seen a real live radish. I didn't grow any last year and I miss the feeling I get when I pluck that first colorful orb out of the ground. (So, naturally, I am growing all-white ones this year. LOL!)

Heirloomgardens - Massachusetts, Zone "5b"

Dishesdone  Send Dishesdone a private message!

Supporting Member

My Time
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 03:38 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Very pretty radishes! Radish was the first thing I ever grew myself years and years ago, but I didn't like to eat them! but now I love them. I should grow some myself!

LOL, DJ!

I have a very nice recipe for radish, endive and lemon salad. I loved it, kids and DH not so keen on it, was kind of sharp.

Dishesdone - New York, Zone "7"

Supporting Member

Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 11:42 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

first ripe tomato:

Plant Forum

"Celebrity" - small but nicely shaped. We picked it today. Believe it or not, I didn't touch the saturation on this photo. That's how it looked.

This spaghetti squash isn't quite ready yet, but it looks like it should be a good one.

Plant Forum

Oldiebutgoodie  Send Oldiebutgoodie a private message!

Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 11:53 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

We've had such a cold, wet spring here in south central Ontario, I'm still planting. My peas, onions and potatoes are doing well. We try not to use pesticides on our produce so we've been picking potato bugs off the plants and killing them by hand. I put in 30 lbs of seed potatoes this year, so that's a fairly time-consuming task.

For the first time since we've been growing asparagus at our farm, we have an infestation of asparagus beetles. I think I may have to put my pride over not using chemicals into my back pocket and sit on it for a while. I'm afraid if we don't spray the asparagus, those nasty bugs will destroy the entire patch.

Oldiebutgoodie - Ontario, Zone "5"

Stephie  Send Stephie a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 12:40 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Well, here on the B.C. coast the cool crops are doing great but forget tomatoes, peppers, cukes and squash unless you plant them in the greenhouse (which I have done after two sets of tomatoes died). The furnace still kicks in...June 10!!

Stephie

Supporting Member

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 12:09 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

The first tomato was kind of blah and acid, but I guess I should be grateful to have any, and I am.

The second, third and fourth tomatoes were better, but they're still an early tomato. I long for Brandywine or Prince Caspian. The Brandywines I tried to start from seed didn't make it. I didn't know the seedlings needed total darkness at night. There was a night light in the room, and I guess that was too much; they turned yellow and died just as their fist true leaves were starting to peek out.

The local nurseries only sell the early tomato plants, but I've found a source for mail-order plants that has about every tomato you can name. I'll try that next year.

Next first harvest: one of our nine apricots looks ripe. The tree was planted last fall. I'm beginning to think this place will work out after all. There's a lot to learn, though.

The first spaghetti squash is almost completely yellow. I'm not sure how to tell when they are ripe.

We have 4 of our 5 soaker hoses in and attached to 2 timers, so maybe these plants won't all die while we're up north.

Mrmunk  Send Mrmunk a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 01:06 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

That reminds me - I need to put in some radishes! Beautiful. Those greens look awesome - I like those more than the bulbs.

Mrmunk - Georgia, Zone "7b"

Abigailc1973  Send Abigailc1973 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 08:42 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Yikes, Valia, I started some Brandywines and I didn't know about them needing total darkness at night, I better be careful, I too usually leave a night light on in the room they're in. I've never tried them but hear they're wonderful. My spaghetti squash didn't make it! I think I'm going to try again in August or September because I just love it! You usually harvest it when the outside is yellow and the vines start to die. I've heard to leave it on the counter for about a week before eating, although I don't know why.

And Oldiebutgoodie I can totally relate to your bug crisis this year. I too try to stay away from chemicals and had to resort to it this year. It's been one creepy crawly epidemic after another.

Abigailc1973 - florida, Zone "9"

Periwinkle  Send Periwinkle a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 12:26 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Anne, I'm so glad to see your veggie garden! Inspirational.
I grew Brandywine seeds this year (courtesy of DJ!) and they look great. Here though, it will be a long wait.

Denise--Northern Wisconsin, Z3b

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com