Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Potato Patch

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Potato Patch « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doctorspud  Send Doctorspud a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 05:21 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

It is finally warming up to even think about turning the ground. Next week I'll be heading to my folks place to start working the potato patch. This year I am going to use a method of seed saving used by seed growers over one hundred years ago, hill selection. This method is something like a checker board since you plant in 3 foot rows with hills 3 feet apart so that you can cultivate both ways. I'll be using my Troybilt horse to start the cultivating but will finish with by high wheel push cultivator. Hilling/ridging was not that common before 1900 as the older varieties seemed to grow deeper in the ground. Ill be planting var. RUSSET BURBANK and var. GREEN MOUNTAIN and my own 'seedling', a yet un-named russeted variety that I propagated from true seed of the var. KATAHDIN quite a few years ago. I do cheat and use commercial fertilizer but only use copper/rotenone/pyrthium for pest control. (I foliage feed with 'Miracle Grow' since it is used immediatly by the plant and there is no ground carry-over like granular nitrogen, ect. Oh, the seed saving method, I have worked with the Wisconsin Seed Potato Farm and the seed industry for some time and continually downloading and reading up on everything to do with spuds. When doing hill selection, any plant that does not look well gets cut out....of the rest, I only will keep the perfect yielding hills, 8-12 even sized spuds that are at least 6 ounces in wt. with no tuber defects. Nest few years I'll take that seed and grow it out using the tuber-unit method.....seems like alot of work, but it's fun and keeps me out of the taverns....Once I figure out how to post pictures here, I am going to keep a photo diary of the potato patch and if you'd like, keep you'all informed on whats going on.........doc

Doctorspud - wisconsin, Zone "3 - 4"

Oldiebutgoodie  Send Oldiebutgoodie a private message!

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 08:51 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I hope your expertise with growing potatoes can help me, Doc. I have a recurring problem with some sort of blight on my spuds. They taste good and store well (I've still got about half a bushel left from last year's crop.) but they're difficult to peel and too ugly to bake.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oldiebutgoodie - Ontario, Zone "5"

Doctorspud  Send Doctorspud a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 01:29 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

'Oldie', it looks as if you have a disease called 'scurf', which is a seed borne disease that can linger in the soil.

I changed my plans and planted the normal way, and I decided to do a photo diary, if you don't mind.

1st pic - clover and rapeseed (fall planted) coming up in the 'rock' garden
2nd - my 15 yr old troybilt
3rd - digging rows for potatoes
4th - troybilt with row marker
5th - dropping seed into trenchesPlant Forum

Plant Forum

Plant Forum

Plant Forum

Plant Forum

Doctorspud - wisconsin, Zone "3 - 4"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com