Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Chilling injury

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Chilling injury « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lisfisher  Send Lisfisher a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 01:06 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi , I started tomato's indoors this year and transplanted to the garden just a bit early.They now have chilling injury, not from any frost but just from cool nightime temps.The leaves turned pale on some plants.My question is, will they recooperate and if so, will there be less fruits on the plants later in the summer when they mature? Right now they are very young plants,only about 4 inches high.

Lisfisher - CT, Zone "5"

Heirloomgardens  Send Heirloomgardens a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 02:42 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Tomatoes like nighttime temps between 59 and 68 deg F. The plants might recover, but they may be stunted and produce fewer toms. Just depends on how long they have suffered cold temps. I don't put mine out until after the last frost date (May 23 in my area), and even then they really ought to have some sort of protection to help keep them warmer than the ambient temp.

Heirloomgardens - Massachusetts, Zone "5b"

Ilovemygarden  Send Ilovemygarden a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 05:38 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I'm in a colder zone than both of you, and my tomatos are out. They've been out for two weeks at least. I took a huge risk planting them that early. I had a little tiny bit of frost damage on 3 or 4 plants the first week, but they are coming back strong now.

All of my tomato plants were store bought, ranging from 6-12 inches in height--however I did bury 80% of the plant (as the directions on tomato packages say to).

My lows are just not getting near the 50's, so the plants will really start to grow now. There's no advantage to planting as early as I did. I just wanted to get it over with b/c I had other thing on the garden to do list. LOL.

I just thought I'd give you some piece mind knowing mine are okay now. I think your plants should be fine, but I am no tomato expert.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.
Jamie

Ilovemygarden - Wisconsin, Zone "5a/4b"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com