Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Should the figs & pomegranates stay?

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Should the figs & pomegranates stay? « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Abigailc1973  Send Abigailc1973 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 08:12 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I purchased a dwarf pomegranate and a dwarf fig from online about 2 years ago. So far, they're not even a full foot tall yet. However, this year I have 4 figs and I just found 4 pomegranates on the trees. I'm so excited but the trees are so tiny. My sister told me I should cut the fruit off, because they're so small the fruiting will just take too much energy and nutrients from the trees. I'm not expecting to get full size edible fruit on such tiny trees but I don't want to hurt them. What should I do, leave them alone or take their babies away?

Abigailc1973 - florida, Zone "9"

Growit  Send Growit a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 08:38 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

From what I can remember the dwarf pomegranates we sold only reached about 2 possibly 2 and a half feet in height. The fruit were also smaller than your average pomegranate. I would leave them on. I don't think it is a problem at all for them to fruit now. In fact it shows how well you have looked after them if they have fruit already :)

Growit - Hants UK, Zone "8/9"

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:28 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thank you! I really didn't like the idea of cutting them off. Thanks for the help.

Sueanne  Send Sueanne a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:49 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Glad to see you are growing pomegranates in Florida.Would love to have one. My fig trees are loaded with figs cannot wait for them to ripen.
_______
Sueanne

Sueanne - Florida, Zone "9"

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 09:29 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

The pomegranate's blossoms alone are just beautiful, I think I may get a couple more. You know, I've never tasted a fresh fig in my life, so when I do get a ripe one I'm sure it will be a rewarding experience and worth the wait. I hear they are so sweet and delicious. Congrats on all your figs!

Greth  Send Greth a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 08:57 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have a dwarf pomegranate too, rescued from the discount corner of a nursery. I have struck a few cuttings from it, but watching the parent with interest - think it could make an excellent bonsai! I would leave the fruit on to look decorative, and maybe try germinating the seed once the fruit is past its prime.

Greth - South Australia, Zone "?"

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 01:07 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I've read that pomegranate make excellent bonsai. I think the flowers are so pretty. I'll have to try my luck on germinating the seeds. The little fruits are so cute right now, they're getting a little bigger.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com