Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Asparagus crown life shelf?

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Asparagus crown life shelf? « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Medusaorange  Send Medusaorange a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 04:32 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I bought some asparagus crowns from Wal-mart few months ago and I have planted about two of five bags. I wanted to plant the rest, but I had been so busy and June came...

Are the crowns still good to be planted? What is the shelf life? If the crowns are still good, when should I plant?

The crowns I had planted grew a fern-ish and it got me happy. haha.

Medusaorange - virginia, Zone "7/8"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Oldiebutgoodie  Send Oldiebutgoodie a private message!

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 05:07 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

To quote the old German lady from whom I got my asparagus crowns, "Plant dem! Dey vill grow." Just make sure you give them lots of water during hot weather. Don't cut any shoots next spring. Cut a few the following spring. From the third spring on, cut, cut, cut and enjoy. Just leave a few shoots to grow into ferns. Keep your patch weeded as much as you possibly can. Asparagus hates weeds.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Oldiebutgoodie - Ontario, Zone "5"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com