Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Companion plants for fennel

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Companion plants for fennel « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Abigailc1973  Send Abigailc1973 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 10:21 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I really wanted to grow fennel and started some. I've been trying to utilize some companion planting methods in my garden and have been discouraged to find that fennel does not do well with much of anything besides dill. I was wondering if anyone has had any personal experience or success either growing it in pots so I could keep it isolated or with any other plants? Thanks for any help.

Abigailc1973 - florida, Zone "9"

Growit  Send Growit a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 08:50 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Actually the last thing you should plant next to fennel is dill. They cross pollinate and you end up with fendil! Not a nice tasting herb a strange mix of flavours and the progeny look wierd too.
Unfortunately fennel is an allelopathic herb.
It grows fine with my golden marjoram. I think it is too rampant for the fennel to noticeably affect it.

Growit - Hants UK, Zone "8/9"

Abigailc1973  Send Abigailc1973 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 08:54 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll try my luck with it in big pots, I hear they have larger tap roots, and keep them isolated from my other goodies.

Abigailc1973 - florida, Zone "9"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com