Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Edibles Update

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Edibles Update « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 08:58 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

After a very slow start and a wet spring the veggie garden has bounced back.

Beets, Fava beans, Corn, Rutabagas and Kohlrabi are doing great.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Oldiebutgoodie  Send Oldiebutgoodie a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 11:08 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Your garden is amazing, Greg. It must be difficult to weed when you plant so intensively. Do you have to amend the soil often?

How do you serve kohlrabi? I've grown it in the past, but the only way I've put it to use was raw on a vegetable tray with dip.

Oldiebutgoodie - Ontario, Zone "5"

Stephie  Send Stephie a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 12:44 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

OK...just HOW do you keep weeds at bay? I need to know because I am thinking of ditching the veggie garden because of the weeds. I hoe and hoe and hoe...even tried Round-up in early spring but as soon as I turn the soil, another thousand million weed seeds sprout and this year a new one..quack grass. I want my garden to look like yours..how big is yours? HELP!!!

Stephie - B.C., Zone "Zone 8"

Nibbs  Send Nibbs a private message!

Supporting Member

My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 02:42 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Your veggie garden is growing so well, Greg! I can see you've been tending it carefully. It's amazing how much produce you can get out of a home garden!!

Diane British Columbia Zone 7b

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 04:25 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Sorry, I've been away for the last couple weeks. Let me answer some of these questions.

Oldiebutgoodie wrote on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 07:08 am:

How do you serve kohlrabi?

I love it raw. Actually it rarely makes it all the way to the house before I cut it up and eat it. I hear you can cook it like you would a root vegetable like rutabaga but I haven't tried. I think you could use it in any recipe that you would use broccoli stems. I can see slivering it and using it in stir fry.

Do you have to amend the soil often?

We are fortunate to have really good soil here in the Red River Valley. I do add compost every year but that's about it. Our dirt is black as night here.

Stephie wrote on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 08:44 am:

OK...just HOW do you keep weeds at bay?

It must be difficult to weed when you plant so intensively.

Ok, I do get weeds too. A couple of things that I do helps tremendously. First, planting things close together. Many weed seeds need light to germinate. Thus if you plant your veggies close together and let it cover all the open soil you will have a lot less weeds. Also, from day one in the spring I mulch my garden with grass clippings every time I mow my lawn. I even beg borrow and steal grass clippings from my neighbors. That way I can keep the paths and spaces between the plants pretty weed free.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Jak3  Send Jak3 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:50 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I Love grass clippings. Not only do they mulch for weeds and help keep in moisture, they enrich the soil when you turn them under at the end of the season. I use all of mine too.

Jak3 - Ontario, Zone "4/5"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com