Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Fertilizer question

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Composting and Soil Amendments-Archives » Fertilizer question « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peacefrg  Send Peacefrg a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 07:45 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Someone gave me a very large bag of 22-0-9 fertilizer. I have no idea what the numbers mean or what it might be good for. Suggestions? We have some veggies growing and flowers. We have corn growing in a sand box and was hoping this might be good for it since it isn't doing very well and has never turned a good hardy green color. Thanks.

Jerry

Peacefrg - Virginia, Zone "6"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Growit  Send Growit a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 08:16 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

They show the percentages of major plant nutrients; Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium.
They are known as the NPK values.
N - Nitrogen: promotes the growth of leaves and vegetation
P - Phosphorous: promotes root growth
K - Potassium: promotes flower and fruit growth

What you have been given is very high in nitrogen, possibly too late in the season for veges unless you are starting a second crop. Normally at this time of the year you would use a fertilizer high in potassium to promote flower and fruit production. You could try it on your corn. I doubt it would do much harm. I do not know anything about growing veg in sandboxes though so I could be wrong!

Growit - Hants UK, Zone "8/9"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com