Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
My first potato harvest! (photos)

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » My first potato harvest! (photos) « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Garden_girl_jo  Send Garden_girl_jo a private message!

My Garden Journal
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 03:58 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Those of you that have ever grown potatoes can probably share in my excitement! This year was my first attempt at growing potatoes. My plant began dieing off a couple weeks ago so today I was excited to dig... I was so happy to dig up 7 potatoes! :) And they actually look like potatoes. If you want to see photos check out: http://indianagardening.blogspot.com/2008/08/today-in-my-indiana-garden-har vesting.html
Happy Gardening!

Garden_girl_jo - Indiana, Zone "5"

Loretta  Send Loretta a private message!

Supporting Member

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 08:52 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Congratulations on your harvest. Have you tried any yet!
Your blog looks very nice but my firewall gives me a message that it is blocking spyware.

Loretta - NJ, Zone "6"

Valia  Send Valia a private message!

Supporting Member

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 05:12 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

You go girl! Bet you're glad you stuck with it.

Invite me over for potato salad :)

Valia - UT (winter) WA (summer), Zone "8 and 5"

Hocklea  Send Hocklea a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 05:29 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I am going to try growing potato's in garbage cans next year. Has anyone tried it?

Hocklea - Washington, Zone "8"

Supporting Member

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 07:04 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I grew them in loose hay in a big, deep wicker laundry basket that had seen better days. I added layers of hay as the plants grew. It worked fine, except for a few that the sunlight reached. A garbage can should work even better. The wicked basket was pretty, though, with potato vines sneaking out the sides.

Sheilak  Send Sheilak a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 09:50 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

My dad and I were just talking about this on the phone! He saw someone use an old wooden barrel with holes in the sides. He said that once the plants died off, they just dumped the barrel and harvested the potatoes. A big garbage can would be the same idea. Im gonna try this next year! How do you guys get your seed...do you sprout you own or buy somewhere?

Sheilak - PA, Zone "5 and 6"

Supporting Member

Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 01:47 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I always did what they tell you not to do, cut up an old potato.

My first potato-growing experience was at the first house we ever bought. The house was 17 years old and had been built on the site of an old potato farm. The soil was pure sand. It was near the central California coast (Marina, CA).

The first spring, I was pulling quackgrass runners out from under the sidewalk that bordered the back yard when I found ... a potato! It was deep under the sidewalk. It was a small potato, so I cut it into only four pieces, each with an eye, and poked them into the sand near the house. Each piece grew, and by fall there was a tangle of potato vines. I ripped them off and started running my hands through the sand, coming up with handfuls, then armfuls of potatoes. They filled a laundry basket (plastic, this time) :)

Anne

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com