Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
My poor winter greenhouse

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » My poor winter greenhouse « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cashmeregreenhouse  Send Cashmeregreenhouse a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 09:37 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hello,

This summer I built a solar greenhouse and it has been working great. About 7 days ago, I found many of the plants have been infested with aphids. Now many of them have leaves that are mottled, curling up and the seedlings are not growing any more.

I also noticed there were lots of whiteflies flying around.

So, I put white fly traps up. Caught most of them. Sprayed an organic "soap" bug-killer on the aphids.

These two treatments seem to have gotten rid of all of the aphids and most of the white flies.

So my question is, What do I do about the plants? Should I tear them all up and start over?

What about the soil? Is it contaminated too?

You can see my greenhouse setup here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=73226&l=0a52c&id=748673857

Cheers
Brian

Cashmeregreenhouse - WA, Zone "3"

Terryk  Send Terryk a private message!

Supporting Member

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 09:30 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Brian, welcome to gardenbuddies!

Here's a link on white flies in greenhouses, hopefully it helps.

I love your greenhouse! It's something I would love to have. It's interesting that you can keep the greenhouse about 60 degrees and you are down to 27.

Is this your first year with a solar greenhouse? Other than the water, do you use any other heat source?

If you don't get answers here, I think there is a greenhouse forum and a pest and disease forum (or there was, we're doing a bit of consolidating). Otherwise, you can try the advice forum too.

Good luck!

Terryk - NY, Zone "6"

Greth  Send Greth a private message!

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 09:55 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

The soil shouldn't be contaminated, sounds like you have got rid of the beasties, but keep an eye on them, they could come back.
As for the plants, take it case by case, you only need to throw out those which are too damaged to survive well.
Unfortunately greenhouses can be a perfect breeding place for pests, as the natural predators aren't around. You found good organic solutions for them though!

Greth - South Australia, Zone "?"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com