Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Raspberries fresh from Scotland

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Raspberries fresh from Scotland « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Polly_poppy  Send Polly_poppy a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 05:54 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

You would not believe the price of these in the shops and yet a few canes purchased a couple of years ago are producing heaps of raspberries every day at the moment.
This variety is thornless which is great for pulling out unwanted canes and tying in new ones. The fruit is firm and juicy too.

Gardenbuddies Plant Forum

Gardenbuddies Plant Forum

Polly poppy Glasgow UK

Scotkat  Send Scotkat a private message!

My Garden Journal
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 07:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi Pauline rasps look so tasty can smell them from here prefer the taste of rasps to strawberries.
Big buisness up our way strawberries and rasp fields of poly-tunnels .
This must give the farmers an extended crop.
Tunnels everywhere you travel can't miss them.

Scotkat - Scotland, Zone "?"

Greybeard  Send Greybeard a private message!

Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:24 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Much nicer than strawberries and the autumn fruiting ones always seem the biggest and best.

Greybeard - Devon, Zone "9"

Lulubelle  Send Lulubelle a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:03 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Yum, lucky you, Polly...thornless. Mine are chuck full of thorns. Love the fruit, hate the thorns!

Lulubelle, zone 5, Quebec, Canada

Cherylle  Send Cherylle a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:00 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Yum Yum! We have raspberry canes but this year they didn't fruit very well. DH and I get confused about which canes to pull out at the end of the season. I suspect we pull out the wrong ones. Any ideas?

Cherylle, Canberra, Australia Zone 2

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:12 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi Cherylle
raspberries that fruit in the summer,grow from canes made the previous year. You should therefore cut hard back old canes that have fruited at the end of the season. You can tell which ones are old because the stems are woody brown colour. Next years fruiting canes will look fresh and green now.These new canes will grow this year and fruit next year.
Autumn fruiting rasps flower on canes made earlier the same year. They should all be cut back after fruiting and new canes will grow and fruit the following year.
I hope this helps.

Polly poppy Glasgow UK

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:16 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Lulubelle, I meant to say that this variety is one called Glen Prosen. No Thorns! I promise. It does take a lot of the pain out of harvesting.

Polly poppy Glasgow UK

Cherylle  Send Cherylle a private message!

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:58 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks PP will give it a try this year!

Cherylle, Canberra, Australia Zone 2

Scotkat  Send Scotkat a private message!

My Garden Journal
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 03:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Polly what rasp variety are you growing.
I have been thinking about growing blueberries and or rasp in my greenhouse .
They would also be protected from the elements of these heavy rain and hail storms we are geeting just now.
Been looking in our local garden centre for blueberry bushes but they do not hae any .
Plenty rasp canes and strawberries.
I bought a punnet of fresh raspberries last week from the supermarket and have so enjoyed them on my Special K in the morning.

Scotkat - Scotland, Zone "?"

Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 08:16 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi Kath
sorry I haven't replied before but have just returned from a short break in Tuscany. So good to see the sun and the landscape was beautiful. Got back to great raspberry weather here,perpetual rain!!!
To answer your question, this variety is Glen Prosen.
I am trying blueberries for the first time this year. The varieties are Earliblue and Bluecrop. They are in flower at the minute SO HERE'S HOPING. Our local garden centre had a few plants earlier in the season and I recently saw some at Dobbies. I'm sure you have one nearby as they seem to be everywhere!

Polly poppy Glasgow UK

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com