Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Compost

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Composting and Soil Amendments-Archives » Compost « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Terryk  Send Terryk a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 09:30 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I was cleaning around the yard and found a bin that I had placed some garden clippings in had turned to compost (what a great surprise!) Is it too late in the season to lay on top of the perennial beds (ie roses, etc.)? Also, I need to lay wood chips because the weeds are everywhere. After I weed can I lay the compost and then the wood chips?

Thanks for your help!

Terryk - NY, Zone "6"

Gardenshowlady  Send Gardenshowlady a private message!

Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 10:01 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

This would be the perfect time!
Actually, any time you can add organic matter to your soil is a good time. The compost will feed the roots while they are slowing down during the fall. And then next spring, you will have a healthy POP! thanks to the nutrient rich addition!

Gardenshowlady - SC Lowcountry, Zone "8b"

Kvilledude  Send Kvilledude a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 09:21 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Ditto to what Carolyn said. In fact, fall is a great time to collect leaves as they fall from your trees and your neighbors' trees. Yes, I am a leaf thief!!! I lay the leaves all over my beds and by spring, they have decomposed into wonderful soil amendments and are in place as the plants need it. If you can shred the leaves by mowing them with your lawnmower or a leaf shredder, they tend to stay in place and not blow all over the place in the winter winds.

Kvilledude - North Carolina, Zone "7A"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com