Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Help a newbie! :)

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Help a newbie! :) « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Msgreeneyes  Send Msgreeneyes a private message!

Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 11:04 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Are there any veggies I could plant in a large container on the patio (east facing - sun to part shade - North Texas)? I live in an apartment, and don't have much room. Is there anything that can be grown indoors? :)

Thanks!,
Jessy

Msgreeneyes - TX, Zone "?"

Ej  Send Ej a private message!

Click to see a larger profile photo of Ej

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 10:57 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Jessy have you tried tomatoes? They make a great container veggie. Also chiles are fun too!

Ej So.Cal. Zone 10a Click to hear a voice greeting from Ej

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 03:56 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi Jessy,

Welcome! Vegetables often require quite a bit of sunshine and are generally difficult to grow indoors. However, that doesn't mean you can't try! I think a number of herbs do well in containers and some are fine inside. Your patio will be the best place I think. I did a quick search on google for "container vegetable gardening" and came across some information from the extension service at TAMU. Here's a link:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/container/container.html

I think bushy type vegetables do fine (tomatoes, beans, etc) as well as smaller plants like leaf lettuces, radishes, etc.

Hope this helps. Once you get your gardens growing on the patio, don't forget to post pictures for us!!!

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Valia  Send Valia a private message!

Click to see a larger profile photo of Valia

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 03:01 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Welcome, Jessy!

A little herb garden is nice to have, also, and needn't take much space.

I've grown parsley, basil and chives indoors, and found the fresh taste was worth the trouble. I tried dill, too, but it didn't do as well; it needs space to grow tall, but might do well on your patio.

I've had success with tomatoes -- both full-size and cherry tomatoes. I tried lettuce, but that was nothing to write home about -- it doesn't like warm weather and I think the window was too sunny in addition to the warm house. I have friends who grow cucumbers in their greenhouse in summer because we don't have enough hot weather outdoors, but I bet they's do well on your patio trained up like a climbing vine. You just attach twine to a high place and give them a little encouragement and they will climb the twine.

What kind of vegetables do you like to eat?

Anne, Washington State, Zone 5

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 01:18 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks to everyone for the information and advice! I have some seeds started now.

My nieces and nephew (ages 4,6,6) helped pick out what we are going to try and grow. They have talked their parents into letting them plant a little garden bed in the back yard. So, I am going to try and get the seeds going until they are big enough to transplant..and then we're going to split them up between us. :)

So far we have...
* Tomatoes ('patio hybrid' & 'super sweet 100')
* Cucumber (a compact hybrid)
* Zucchini squash (compact)
* Eggplant (burpee hybrid)
* Cilantro
* Basil
* Lavender

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if anything actually grows! It will also be a lesson in patience for the kids. We started the seeds and the very next morning they were looking to see if they had tomatoes yet! *LOL* We had a little lesson on plants and what it takes for them to make fruits & veggies. Now they have a checklist (does my plant have sun, food, water, no bugs, etc) and a calender...so they have a little better idea of what to expect.

We're also thinking about making a couple of hanging baskets of strawberries.

I do have a question....my oldest niece is a salad head (go to pizza hut and all she wants is the salad bar, no pizza!). She asked if we could grow a salad bar..*lol*. We have the tomatoes and cucumbers. Would lettuce, carrots, (what else is on a salad bar?) work in a container garden?

Thanks!,
Jessy

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 02:20 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Try the packets of seeds that say "salad mix". That way you have several kinds of lettuce -- leaf and head, green and red. Scrumptious. And it looks pretty, too.

You might throw in some chives for that onion flavor.

The strawberry baskets sound like a great idea.

Let us see how your garden grows -- post pics if you can!

Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 09:31 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

My seedlings are big enough to plant (transplant) into containers now! (I think) Now I need help, so I do this right and don't kill them all. *lol*

I have a small east facing patio, and I'm using 5-gallon buckets for containers (and two hanging baskets for strawberries). I have cucumbers (patio/compact), eggplant (compact), zucchini, tomatoes (patio and super 100s), basil, and cilantro.

I know I probably have way too many plants for the number of containers I have room for. However, the extras will be going to my nieces and nephews garden..so that's not a problem. I just have to figure out how many of each I can put in a 5-gallon bucket planter. Also, what's the best way to fix the buckets for proper drainage? I was thinking, holes around the sides about two inches from the bottom, and putting gravel or some type of rocks in the bottom couple of inches. Would that work?

I'll try to take some pics and post them in a little while. :)

Thanks!
Jessy

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 11:15 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

You won't want more than one tomato per bucket, probably true of eggplant also, but several basil and cilantro plants could share a bucket with them. Basil I plant about 4 inches apart. I've never grown cilantro.

I've never tried growing zukes or cukes in a bucket, So I have no idea what their roots do. I do know you can train cucumber vines to climb up a piece of baler twine -- no need to tie them on, just let the twine hang loose and encourage them to attach with a little twist. You can do this with tomatoes, too. I suppose it would also work with zucchinis. I would plant more cucumbers than zucchinis, maybe 3 cukes to a bucket. This is pretty crowded so they would need to be well-fed.

But all I can really speak to for container planting is the tomatoes.

You could find yourself lost in an edible jungle right there on your patio.

Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 08:20 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

You were all so nice in helping me decide what to plant, I thought I'd give you an update. Here are a few pics of how things are going... :)

Strawberries - Everbearing
Plant Forum
Tomatoes - Burpee Patio
Plant Forum
Zukes & Cukes
Plant Forum
Zukes & Cukes 2
Plant Forum

These pics were taken about two weeks ago. I need to take some new ones..it's all growing so fast. I've since went to the store and got some real cages/wire and made decent trellis for the zukes and cukes (I used what you see in the pics one day when the wind was gusting and blowing them to pieces, but I was home with a sick kid and didn't have anything else). I still have a bunch of plants inside too that are just now big enough to transplant. There's a hanging basket of the Super-Sweet-100 Tomatoes, the compact eggplants, more basil & cilantro (some of it is planted with the zukes and tomatoes), more patio tomatoes, and more zukes and cukes. Aaaaggghhh!! I'm trying to get my sister or mother to take a few...my patios already turning into a jungle! *haha*

I do have a concern though. I went out today and noticed something is eating the leaves on my zukes and cukes!!! :( I only found a few of the little bugs...they are black with a little red...look kind of like little lady bug type bugs. I'm guess that's what is knawing on the leaves..it's the only bugs I saw. Any idea what they might be, and how to get rid of them???

Thanks,
Jessy

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com