Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Geranium Albanum

Garden Forum » Archives » Geraniums in the Garden Forum-Archives » Geranium Albanum « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Psilo  Send Psilo a private message!

My Garden Journal
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 07:52 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

This is a geranium that is seen rarely but which is such a wonderful addition to the garden. It has two tone flowers, opening quite pale and going pinker as it ages and it has wonderful purple blue stamens. It can be grown in a variety of situations including the back of the border, the front if it has room to sprawl alittle and also in the wild garden where it is equally happy. It likes sun and part shade and will tolerate most soil types. It is also a good self seeder.

Plant Forum

Plant Forum

Psilo - United Kingdom, Zone "8"

Formerly_ci  Send Formerly_ci a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 11:04 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Oooh. I really like that one.

This is a dangerous forum. I really don't want to add any new Geraniums to my garden.

Kaveh, Back in New Jersey, zone 6

Gardenfiend  Send Gardenfiend a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 01:29 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I've never seen (or even heard of) this one before. It is very lovely and unusual and I'm afraid I probably do need it.

Gardenfiend - Germany, Zone "7a"

Katja  Send Katja a private message!

Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 03:51 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

It's beautiful !!!

Katja

Katja - The Netherlands, Zone "?"

Sheilakar  Send Sheilakar a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 09:04 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

OOH that is pretty, have to look to add to my collection

Sheilakar - CT, Zone "6"

Susanq  Send Susanq a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 02:45 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Very nice, Annette! What an exquisite close-up.

SusanQ - Zone 4b-5b Wisconsin

Plantynut  Send Plantynut a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 07:52 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Sun/part shade, self seeder and pretty. What more can one ask for in a flower.

Arlene Zone 7 Long Island, NY

Sheilakar  Send Sheilakar a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 10:21 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Annette where in England do you Live?, Wish Scotkat and I could drop in when I am in Scotland next Month

Sheilakar - CT, Zone "6"

Greentapestry  Send Greentapestry a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 11:34 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

What lovely veining. What spread does it make Annette i.e. width?

Greentapestry - United Kingdom, Zone "8"

My Garden Journal
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 11:56 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Sheila I live in the Northwest of England in bolton which is just north of Manchester.
Anna I would say that it has a spread of about 4feet. The original plant I had produced very few seeds (which is not the norm) but it obviously produced some as I have several offspring now. However this plant is much easier to get at so I am hoping for many more seeds this summer.

Cajetana  Send Cajetana a private message!

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 12:35 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

The flowers of my one are a bit different. Are there varieties?

Cajetana

My Garden Journal
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 02:06 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi Cajetana, no there is only one albanum as it is a species and not a cultivar. Your flower is pinker than mine but that could be because the flower is more aged perhaps? The flowers should open very pale and get pinker with age. what interests me about yours is that the stamens are pinker. I think the issue with this species, as with many others, really depends upon how the plant, that was bought, has been propagated? My original plant was vegetively propagted from plants from a national collection but some nurseries raise this plant from seed. In that case there is nearly always going to be the problem of open pollination and some slight variation in plants may then occur.

Galanthophile  Send Galanthophile a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 04:26 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Annette - that is one beautiful geranium. I also have not heard of it but will definitely look out for it.

Galanthophile - Ann (Northern England), Zone "8"

Missgarden  Send Missgarden a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 12:22 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

The coloring of this one is just lovely.

Missgarden - Ontario, Zone "5b"

Formerly_ci  Send Formerly_ci a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 03:27 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Gardenfiend wrote on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 08:29 am:

and I'm afraid I probably do need it

LOL. Mara reminds me of ME!

I really think there is nothing lovelier then macros of Geraniums. They have such character when you get a really close look.

Kaveh, Back in New Jersey, zone 6

Gardenfiend  Send Gardenfiend a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 04:36 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

The difference that most strikes me between Katrin's albanum and Annette's is the shape of the flower. Part of the beauty of the latter, I think, is the way the petals overlap.

Gardenfiend - Germany, Zone "7a"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com