Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Bell Peppers

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Bell Peppers « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Flowergirl  Send Flowergirl a private message!

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 03:12 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Every year I grow Bell Peppers and every year they are a disappointment. I only do organic fertilizer (works for all the other veggies)and they get the same care as my tomatoes, basil, cucumbers, etc. The peppers themselves never seem to get very large. I have five different varieties planted, the plants are healthy but not overly leafy, just small peppers. What am I doing wrong?

Flowergirl - OH, Zone "05b"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 07:54 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I don't know. I have never had luck with bell peppers either and gave up on them a couple years ago. I think they really like long hot summers and we just can't do that here. I find I have better luck with hot peppers like serrano, jalapeno, cayenne and thai chillis.

I found this web page that might be helpful:

http://www.farm-garden.com/growing-vegetables/7/

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Andy_p  Send Andy_p a private message!

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 09:01 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Flowergirl, Peppers are not hard to grow, here is how I do it.
Full sun, 18 inches apart, each planting hole gets half a spade full of screened compost and a little 10-10-10 slow release fertilizer.
I like the seed from Parks called "Rainbow mix" 6 different colored bells in one pack. The birds like to nip the seedlings, so I cover them with a bird net for the first few weeks.

Notice the purple ones in the back.

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

Michelelee  Send Michelelee a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 10:00 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have not had good luck with them either. I think I will give them another go this year and try your method Andy. What nice looking peppers!
I wondered, do you start from seed or buy seedlings? If you start from seed, how long before your last frost date do you start them? Thank you, Michele

Michelelee - WA, Zone "7-8"

Andy_p  Send Andy_p a private message!

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 11:13 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Michele, I do seed. Almost everything is from seed for me. They take a little longer than tomatoes but they go out 2 weeks later, so I start them at the same time. My last frost date is mid May so I plant them the 3rd week in March. They spend a couple weeks in the cold frame in between.

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

Marianinark  Send Marianinark a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 12:50 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I had excellent results with seed started bell peppers until the deer decided they were tasty !
Like Andy, I loved to grow a mixture. I am giving some thought to growing them inside a dog run to protect them from the deer. I really miss having bags of frozen peppers in my freezer, to use in casseroles.

Marianinark - Arkansas, Zone "6a"

Michelelee  Send Michelelee a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 03:14 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Yikes, My last frost date is the end of March. I am running a bit late. I will get them started. Thank you.
Andy, I love your avatar. you look very much like one of my uncles at that age.

Michelelee - WA, Zone "7-8"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com