Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
How to store veggies?

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » How to store veggies? « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Littlegardenbug  Send Littlegardenbug a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 07:05 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Well way up here we had our first frost last night. It was only supposed to get down to 5C. Actually, it frosted on the big field by my house, but not in the back yard (what a surprise... where's Murphy?). So, I need to know the best way to store potatoes, onions, garlic, carrots and beets. I don't have a fridge, and I have to figure out how to make a little cool storage area/cellar in the basement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Littlegardenbug - Alberta, Zone "3?"

Susanq  Send Susanq a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 11:06 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have no help to offer and I'm sure you've done internet searches also,
but these are a few that I found. Good luck with this one Sarah!

http://muextension.missouri.edu/explore/miscpubs/mp0562.htm

http://www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/issues/125/125-026-01.htm

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/jk_harvest.html

SusanQ - Zone 4b-5b Wisconsin

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 11:13 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Garlic . . I place them in the coolest dry spot on my basement. Make sure they are not enclosed and can get plenty of air circulation, or they may rot. I simply keep them in a plastic tub open to the air. Dry and dark is best. Same for onions. Probably the same for potatoes. Carrots and Beets I store in my refrigerator. I'm not sure how well they will last unrefrigerated. I guess you CAN leave them in the ground if you mulch it enough so the soil does not freeze.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Littlegardenbug  Send Littlegardenbug a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 03:03 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I can just see 6 feet of mulch piled on top of the carrots and beets! Then, of course, I'd have to dig through it to get to them! I'm just a little worried about how deep it freezes because the ground was frozen on Oct 4 last year.. to unfreeze in April!

Thanks for the help! How important is it to cure them for a couple weeks?

I'll try to find a cool, dark spot in the basement.

Littlegardenbug - Alberta, Zone "3?"

Gardenbug  Send Gardenbug a private message!

Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 09:29 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

If you have a "filet"(string bag) it makes a good container for veggies that you can hang from a nail in the basement. Or you could tie the garlic together with string to hang it decoratively in your kitchen?

Gardenbug - Ontario, Zone "4/5"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com