Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Growing Ginseng

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Growing Ginseng « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Guff  Send Guff a private message!

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 05:30 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I picked up 1 oz of Ginseng seeds, received seeds today, seems some have germinated while in shipping, hope they are still good. I placed them into some water, maybe get around to planting some later today or tomorrow for sure.

Has anyone tried growing Ginseng? Any tips, how do the seeds need to be planted, any certain direction, or do they readjust themselves easy?

Another project added TerryK, but this one is long term, takes 10 years + to have a good wild grown size root.In the coming years I will be growing hundreds of thousands. Another business project.

The Ginseng root, thats in the picture is 1 year old, seller included it with the seeds. They kinda look like huge Cyclamen seeds

Plant Forum

Guff - NY, Zone "?"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 01:09 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hmm, I have no idea, but I hope you'll share any information you find.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Guff  Send Guff a private message!

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 03:30 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I planted half of the seeds in the spot pictured, the rest will go someplace else.
From what I have read they need 80% shade.
At today's prices, wild grown dried 10+ year old roots sell $250-500 a pound, it all depends on what they get rated at. The seed sells for $45+ a pound. The oz I bought I paid $10, so that seller is making a killing on seed, $160 a pound selling it by the oz.
I'm always looking for things I could grow, and sell seeds, and or plants. It will be two years before I get any seeds from the seeds I just planted if all goes well. Next year I will buy a couple pound of seeds, I wanted to see how they did before I bought a lot of seed.

Plant Forum

Guff - NY, Zone "?"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com