Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Grapes in Zone 4

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Grapes in Zone 4 « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dwayne  Send Dwayne a private message!

My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 02:50 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have put in a new split rail cedar fence with the intention of using it for a grape arbor. Does anyone have any suggestions for a great grape plant (or plants) that is hardy to zone 4?

Dwayne - Idaho, Zone "4"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 06:21 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

There are several grapes that are hardy in zone 4. What kind of grapes are you looking for? Table grapes? Red/green? Wine Grapes?

A standard table grape that thrives in zone 4 is the "beta" grape. It survives our ND winters no problem.

You can get a lot of information about cold-hardy grapes from the Minnesota Grape Growers association here:

http://www.mngrapes.org/

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Dwayne  Send Dwayne a private message!

My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 11:52 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks Greg! The MGGA site was very helpful. I am mainly interested in table grapes, but I would also like to try a variety that is good for juice/preserves. I think 'Reliance' might be a good candidate as a table grape for our region (4b), and I am considering Beta or Toldi for juice/preserves.

Dwayne - Idaho, Zone "4"

Doctorspud  Send Doctorspud a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 09:59 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I am going to try 'Valiant' var (zone 3-4), but they are a smaller table/preserve type.

Doctorspud - wisconsin, Zone "zone 3"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 12:41 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hey Doc! I am very familiar with Valiants. A number of people grow them for wine here.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Doctorspud  Send Doctorspud a private message!

Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 05:16 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I watched a PBS program (victory garden?) where they planted the grape seedlings not at the root zone, but to only leave the top two or three buds above the soil level. My limited experience with grapes is to plant them like anything else, but the tops always dried up and stifled/killed any further growth. Maybe i should stick to my potatoes.

Doctorspud - wisconsin, Zone "zone 3"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com