Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Some cyclamen persicum

Garden Forum » Archives » Cyclamen in the Garden-Archives » Cyclamen-Archive #3-2006 » Some cyclamen persicum « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tony_willis  Send Tony_willis a private message!

Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 09:13 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

here are a few pics of c. persicum at the tomb of the kings,cyprus in jan/feb.

Plant Forum

Plant Forum

Plant Forum

Plant Forum

Tony_willis - Lancashire, Zone "7"

Frostycurls  Send Frostycurls a private message!

My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 09:19 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Wow that's incredible. I love the way they are growing in the cracks between the rocks.

Penny Oregon Zone 7

Geoforce  Send Geoforce a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:28 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Really spectacular photos and informative too. After seeing these and your previous post, I have decided that cyclamen LOVE heavily limed soil. I wonder if marble chips or crushed shell in a mix would improve ir? Hmm...?

Geoforce - Pennsylvania, Zone "USDA 7a"

Terryk  Send Terryk a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 12:15 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

This must have been breath taking to see. It truly is amazing-like a waterfall of cyclamen flowing down rock.

Terryk - NY, Zone "6"

Jgwoodard  Send Jgwoodard a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 01:17 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

That is cool! How plants manage to get 'up there' and form little colonies is fascinating. I am starting to like these the more I see photos in the wild and in open ground in gardens.

Jgwoodard - TN, Zone "6b"

Tim  Send Tim a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 04:42 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Great photos, Tony. The second photo where the cyclamen are growing in amongst the grass is my favourite. Did you get to see any cyprium?

Tim - Cambridgeshire, Zone "7 "

Gardenfiend  Send Gardenfiend a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 05:52 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Fantastic! I can only begin to imagine how beautiful that must look in person. Thanks for giving us a glimpse through your photos!

Gardenfiend - Germany, Zone "7a"

Matthias  Send Matthias a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 07:05 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Tony, your photos are fantastic. I especially like the plants in the rock crevices and wonder what strange forms the tubers may have inside their narrow confinements. They seem to occupy each tiny crack in the third scene. Thanks for posting !

Matthias - Southern Germany, Zone "7"

Galanthophile  Send Galanthophile a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 02:54 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Nature is wonderful!

Galanthophile - Ann (Northern England), Zone "8"

Valia  Send Valia a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 03:05 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

WOW !

Anne, Washington State, Zone 5

Tony_willis  Send Tony_willis a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:46 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

thanks for all the nice comments.I will look through the pics and see if there are any more of interest.

In answer to Tim, yes I did find cyprium but of course not in flower. I collected a seed pod and these have now germinated and are looking ok.

I have some from a previous visit and these grow and flower well in the greenhouse with no heat
Here are three more of persicum

Plant Forum

Plant Forum

Plant Forum

Tony_willis - Lancashire, Zone "7"

Galanthophile  Send Galanthophile a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 05:49 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

That last photo is amazing. They are so tenacious they deserve to survive!

Galanthophile - Ann (Northern England), Zone "8"

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 01:24 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

It is so hard to imagine anything growing with in the rocks. Another wonderful group of pictures Tony.

Terryk - NY, Zone "6"

Valia  Send Valia a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 01:28 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I've been reading a book where one of the characters, waxing nostalgic about a childhood in Greece, keeps mentioning "drifts" of cyclamen. Since my only experience with them so far has been as house plants, I was happy to be able to recall your photos.

ALso, I plan to plant most of my cyclamen babies outside this year, and need inspiration on how to create a natural appearance. Your photos have been very helpful.

More! More!

Anne, Washington State, Zone 5

Wilsonae_cyclamen  Send Wilsonae_cyclamen a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 09:59 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Terry, Tim, Joseph,

PLEASE, can anyone tell me the difference between:
Helleborus Orientalis Double Queen Mix, (Park Seeds Wholesale) and
Helleborus Ranunculaceae Lenten Rose, Orientalis Hybrid "Washfield Doubles"
the continuation of Elizabeth Strangman hellebore breeding over 20 years ago,
(Thompson & Morgan Seeds).

Any advise/assistance in helping me to decide which of either of the two is more appropriate to grow in New York, Zone 6,
NY 10522 so that I do not have to order both sets of hellebore seeds unecessarily would be most appreciative?
I cannot decide from the plethora of hellebore to choose from - a mix of hellebore seeds seems the best way to go. Thank you!

wilsonae cyclamen

Wilsonae_cyclamen - New York, Zone "6 " Click to hear a voice greeting from Wilsonae_cyclamen

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 11:26 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Wilson, you have to post in the hellebore forum, if you have not done so. You will get more answers there.

I sent an e-mail the other night with some suggestions, did you receive it?

Terryk - NY, Zone "6"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.