Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Clods in compost

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Composting and Soil Amendments-Archives » Clods in compost « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michelelee  Send Michelelee a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 07:53 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

When I moved here, I had no flower beds so had to dig out sod. I started a compost pile with the sod, fallen leaves and kitchen scraps.
I just turned the pile for the 3rd time (OH my back!) and the clods are still there and the grass is growing out of them still! Everything else that was in the pile has broken down except recent additions.
Any suggestions on getting these to break down? Anything else I can add to really get the pile going again? Thanks.

Michelelee - WA, Zone "7-8"

Greenwood  Send Greenwood a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 01:08 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

They'll break down eventually. Just put them upside down in a pile & keep adding enough new compost materials over them so that no light gets to them. Perhaps watering the pile may help to keep it moist and aid in decomposition.

Greenwood - MA, Zone "5"

Michelelee  Send Michelelee a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 01:24 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thank you!

Michelelee - WA, Zone "7-8"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com