Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Two mill-stone wheels

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Decorating Your Garden-Archives » Two mill-stone wheels « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mariae  Send Mariae a private message!

Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 07:03 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hello,

Do you like the mill-stone wheel we have in the garden? Well, we have two, that belonged to my grandparents.

The problem is that are so heavy than it is better no to move at all.

Plant Forum
Here, in Spain, we call the flowers veronica.

Mariae - Europe, Zone "?"

Terryk  Send Terryk a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 01:01 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I think it is very nice. I love things that have some history to them whether in the house or garden. I also love the picture of your dog. Is it a Golden Retriever? I had a female Golden Retriever that resembles your dog, she was such a sweetie.

By the way welcome to Gardenbuddies!

Terryk - NY, Zone "6"

Ej  Send Ej a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 01:14 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hello and welcome to Gardenbuddies. Your veronica is very nice. What was the mill-stone wheel originally used for?

Ej So.Cal. Zone 10a Click to hear a voice greeting from Ej

Another_spring  Send Another_spring a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 02:36 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I love millstones. They are sought after, very expensive to buy old ones, and I would love to have one. I know, it's a dream. I'd have to hire heavy equipment to have one delivered.

What kind of grain was ground with the stone, for meal? On my husband's family farm, they used to grind wheat for flour, and corn for cornmeal. Typically, the mill was situated on a water source where the water power turned the heavy gears that eventually made the grinding wheels turn, which ground the grain between the stones. Now, the only working mills are mostly for historical preservation around here.

Another_spring - NC, Zone "8"

Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 08:40 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hello,

Many thanks for your welcome and messages.

Thats right ANOTEHER_SPRING, you explain very well what was the mill-stone wheel originally used for, here in Spain, as well in your country. Many thanks because my English has a low level to do it so well, but I can understand well.

I have two of them but there were 10 in the mill of my family that was built in 1740, that is possible to see at the door.

Kind regards,

Susanq  Send Susanq a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 12:58 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

What a wonderful history to your mill stone, Mariae!
It would be an honor to show such a wonderful antique in my garden also.
Is the family mill still standing?

SusanQ - Zone 4b-5b Wisconsin

Gardenfiend  Send Gardenfiend a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 02:24 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Please show us a photo of the old mill. Is the building still used at all, for anything?

Your plant is usually called Veronica, but I believe the correct botanical name is Hebe. Sadly, most of them are too tender to grow up here in the cold north :(

Gardenfiend - Germany, Zone "7a"

Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 03:45 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Well, the old mill is now used for weekend cottage and I have no photos of it, but I promise you to take some when I visit it, perhaps in spring.

My family have had it rented for many years to a family but from ten years ago it belongs to my sister.

If you are interested in old stone's houses I can show you some of them, because here in the north of Spain there are many.

The only thing is that I don't know in wich forum to enclose the photos, because this one is decorating in your garden. ???

Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 04:41 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I found the forum at the bottom. I have enclose two photos already.

Jasminei  Send Jasminei a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 01:13 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Your English is great Mariae. And your photo's are wonderful. Welcome!

jasminei UT 5b

Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 04:12 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Many thanks for your welcome, Jasminei.
Do you think so? Sometimes I think if it will be possible to understand me...

I am happy if you all enjoy with my photos.

Periwinkle  Send Periwinkle a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 12:36 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

WELCOME TO GARDENBUDDIES MARIAE!

I've really been enjoying seeing your photos and reading what you've written--the history, culture and beauty of your Country, your family history. We hope that you feel welcome.

Denise--Northern Wisconsin, Z3b Click to hear a voice greeting from Periwinkle

Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 05:11 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

The wheel and the veronicas this summer.

Plant Forum

Freddie  Send Freddie a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 09:14 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thank you for sharing, Marie. This is lovely! I love history and am always happy when I see others are preserving their heritage! I'd love to see pictures of the old mill that is now used as a cottage!

Your english is good and I have no problem at all understanding you. Thanks again!

Freddie - Nevada, Zone "4"

Susanq  Send Susanq a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 12:02 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thank you for the new photo, Mariae! I see Veronica is in love with Millstone ;)

SusanQ - Zone 4b-5b Wisconsin

Starzgarden  Send Starzgarden a private message!

Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 08:27 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I always enjoy your posts,Mariae. Thank you for sharing the family history behind the wonderful mill-stone in your garden. It is a treasure! Looking forward to more photos.

Starzgarden - Michigan, Zone "five"

Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 02:16 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks to everybody. I will go to the mill in
two weeks, I will take some pics for you,
because it is nice.

Karalyn  Send Karalyn a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 12:49 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Wow, beautiful! Welcome to Gardenbuddies!

I didn't know there was a veronica that looked like that. I usually grow the lower kind that are used for groundcovers. Very pretty plant!

Karalyn Idaho Zone 6

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com