Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
New Houston Gardener

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » New Houston Gardener « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jelisa_j  Send Jelisa_j a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:01 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I'm posting this over from my other thread as I think this is a more proper section for what I need help on.

"Quote:
I just started my seeds. I'm in the warmer part of Texas, so it is more spring here than winter. Though with the weather fluctuation, I'll have to see if we get any more cold weather when they are ready to plant.
I'm only starting half the seeds as well, so I can stager the harvest a bit, since it tends to stay warmer here longer as well. It is funny to think I planned that before looking in a book, but it recommends staggering some herbs so that you get them for the whole growing season :).

This is only my second time growing on my own. Our Father grew some vegetables for a few years in the mid-90s, but its hard keeping anything in the Appalacian foothills, when there are so many animals who can get past the fencing and into the cages. He had a beautiful garden in Huntsville, Alabama in the early 70s threw the early 80s, with veggies and fruit trees. The people who bought the house from him cut down most of the fruit trees, For which the present owners, who bought the house from them, regret. My first time I tried gardening by myself was with watermelons and morning glories in Austin Texas, in 1999 or 2000. It was a drought year, so my biggest was softball size. My Morning Glories did well though, seeing as they do better with less water anyways its hard to go wrong with them.

I'm basically very new at this. My main problem will be getting enough nutrients into the soil and actually tilling it because the soil we have is mainly clay. I will get some topsoil, but I'm trying to keep costs down.

Seeds:
Watermelon - Sugar Baby & Crimson Sweet
Melon - Exotic Mix
Basil - Sweet & Genoves
Tomato - Fourth of July
Bell Peppers - mixed
Onion - Sweet and Early Hybrid
Mesclun - Salad Mix
Lavender
Sunflower - mixed
Chives - Common
Catnip

Most of these are from Burpee packets.
If anyone has some tips for any of these, or knows what does well in this part of Texas, I could use any advise you can give. Also would it be ok to plant the sunflowers where they would shade the plants who need partial shade? Texas can get pretty hot. Anyone have any idea what my growing bed should be like. What should be planted together, what to keep apart, etc...

I've heard its gotten warmer here in the past 50 or so years, from locals who have lived here all their life. I'm originally from New Market, Alabama, and I agree even the past 20 years in Alabama, its gotten warmer, no decent snow since the late 80s.

Also, I know strawberries need acidic soil, and I've had no luck with strawberry plants from garden centers, even in rich black soil. Will seeds gathered from store bought strawberries grow if you dry them out and start them inside, and is there something they need to start growing, ie: chill in soil first? Or conversely is there a website I can buy seeds from? My Grandfather grew them in North Mississippi, but he passed away this year so I can't ask him. My Father did try to grow them (as plants, not from seeds) for me years ago, even though he's allergic to them.

Thanx for looking in, hope to hear from some of you.

Oh and if yall would like pictures, I'll have some in a few days, I'm real busy with school and projects I'm helping with.

:unquote"

Jess

Jelisa_j - Texas, Zone "8b"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jelisa_j  Send Jelisa_j a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 08:45 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

ok, here is my garden plan, slightly modified in shape from one in the book.
http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/4341/ediblegarden20065658rx.jpg

and here is my tilling progress.
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/3833/tilling20065759cm.jpg

Jelisa_j - Texas, Zone "8b"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com