Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Horse Manure anyone?

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Composting and Soil Amendments-Archives » Horse Manure anyone? « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michelelee  Send Michelelee a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 01:52 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have found a source for free horse manure or as she calls it 'pony poo' I have never used it before. Should it be composted/aged first? Does it have similar properties of Cow manure?

Michelelee - WA, Zone "7-8"

Terryk  Send Terryk a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 08:43 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I think the answer is yes, other wise it will burn your plants. I am not sure how long it takes to age though.

Googled and maybe this site will help-
http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/horsecompost.htm

Terryk - NY, Zone "6"

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:51 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thank you Terry. That helped a lot.

Lesliedon2000  Send Lesliedon2000 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 10:45 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

One time a friend gave me some manure from her horses. It was dried, but not composted. I had a terrible time with weeds that year. Maybe just a coincidence, but I've been afraid of it ever since :)

Lesliedon2000 - Georgia, Zone "7"

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 03:04 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

That thought crossed my mind also. I think I will just pick up some at the store. It is pretty cheap and all ready to go.

Rain1950  Send Rain1950 a private message!

Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 05:07 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Wrong. If you apply it as a top dressing it will not burn the plants. The problem with weeds is that the horses had been patured and the seed was part of the diet; most stables don't do this. Horse manure will be safe to mix into the soil after 6 months. It's really g r ea t stuff.

Rain1950 - Washington, Zone "8"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com