Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Lasagna garden

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Composting and Soil Amendments-Archives » Lasagna garden « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thayer988  Send Thayer988 a private message!

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 12:17 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hello,

I am really new to gardening and I am considering a "lasagna" garden. I understand that I need to place a layer of newspaper followed by grass clippings, leaves ect... My question is can use fresh grass clippings, manure ect... or does it have to be composted first?? Second question, Most of my gardens are vegtable gardens. I have read that most veggies do well in around a 6 ph level. I have measured my soil and it reads 7-8+. What is the best way to decrease this?? Should I add pine sawdust to the layers?? Mulch with it???

Thank you in advance, I apologize for the length
June

Thayer988 - ny, Zone "5"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rain1950  Send Rain1950 a private message!

Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 05:13 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

First off, try cardboard rather than paper; you'l need 20 layers of paper to smother grass, weeds. Any organic matter in any state of decomposition is layered then wait till next spring to plant. Either adding the pine or peat moss will help.

Rain1950 - Washington, Zone "8"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com