Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Do Irises like shade or full sun ?

Garden Forum » Archives » Irises in the Garden Forum-Archives » Do Irises like shade or full sun ? « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lena_shtirlitz  Send Lena_shtirlitz a private message!

Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 03:08 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi. Do Irises like shade or full sun ? I am a new gardener. Thank you. Lena

Lena_shtirlitz - WV, Zone "6"

Zephirine  Send Zephirine a private message!

Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 03:35 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I guess you talk about bearded irises?
Then they need full sun, Lena, full sun !!!
And do not bury the rhizomes. Their "back" should be "cooked" by the summer sun rays to prepare blooms for next year.
The roots should be buried (shallow), of course.
And drainage is very important too. if your garden is very moist in winter, to prevent the roots from rotting, you can plant them on a small bump, so that their roots remain dry in winter.
Irises are better planted, or divided, in summer.
Hope you will enjoy plenty of blooms next year!

Zephirine France zone 8

Lena_shtirlitz  Send Lena_shtirlitz a private message!

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 05:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thank you Zephirine. Your reply is very helpful. I really appreciate. Lena

Lena_shtirlitz - WV, Zone "6"

Val  Send Val a private message!

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 11:05 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

You know the funniest thing - I got a large number of perennials from my father's house before he sold it, and I was rushed in placing them in my yard - it was fall and I had just moved into my house (had not one single garden bed prepared). I plunked things down in no order whatsoever - it was actually dark out and I was digging to the light of a flashlight, LOL! I stuck things just inside my back yard. The following spring as things popped up, I was able to discover where things were planted and start moving them. I had planted the iris in two spots - under a maple and under a pine...I kid you not...not sure what I was thinking when I stuck them there, except that it was cold, pitch black, and my brand new neighbors probably thought that I was burying a body in the backyard, so I was a bit rushed.

The iris have bloomed beautifully for me every single year for the past 5 years, despite being in shade - in the case of under the pine, very deep shade. I have no idea why that is. I am just finally getting around to moving them this year. I moved some of them to a dappled shade location. I will move some of them to a full sun location. I may very well leave the ones under the pine tree right where they are....you really have to see it to believe it. I will try to remember to take a pic of them this year when they are in bloom...it's quite a sight.

Not trying to suggest that iris don't love full sun....just wanted to share this experience, as from what I can tell, it's a bit odd :O)

Val - New Brunswick, Zone "4b"

Gardenfiend  Send Gardenfiend a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 01:52 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I find most plants simply do not read the books and have no sense of what is expected of them.

Gardenfiend - Germany, Zone "7a"

Marianinark  Send Marianinark a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 09:52 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

LOL Gardenfiend, I so agree. I have the old fashioned blue iris blooming in the edges of our woods where they get no direct sunlight. I threw the excess tubers there, and they are growing and blooming happily.

Marianinark - Arkansas, Zone "6a"

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 09:38 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Gardenfiend wrote on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 12:04 pm:

I find most plants simply do not read the books and have no sense of what is expected of them.

Ain't that the truth! LOL!

Periwinkle  Send Periwinkle a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 11:17 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Lena, good luck with your new garden and I hope you keep posting here.

You too Val! That is quite a story.

Denise--Northern Wisconsin, Z3b Click to hear a voice greeting from Periwinkle

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 08:13 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Here's the iris that didn't read the book

Now if I could just get the ones that I placed so carefully (in full sun, mind you) to do as well ....

Gardenfiend  Send Gardenfiend a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 04:23 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

The old ones are the best! Even in optimum conditions many of the new ones will never perform as well.

Gardenfiend - Germany, Zone "7a"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com