Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Thinning tips

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Thinning tips « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dazie  Send Dazie a private message!

Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 05:19 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi! I recently moved to a place where things grow, so I'm attempting to garden. On a whim I planted some tomato seeds and lo and behold- they've sprouted! You could have knocked me over. When do I thin them and when can I plant them in the ground? They're about 2" high right now, with the jaggedy leaves just starting to show on some of them.

What I'd like to do is thin them and instead of getting rid of the extras, give them to people who have expressed interest.

Thanks for any advice!

Dazie - Kansas, Zone "?"

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 05:47 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi Aileen

Welcome to GB!

If you have the space, you do not need to thin them. If you prune them, and they are too small right now (2 inches or 2 feet?), you can make them bushy. I plan on doing so this year, as my tomato plants are typically 8 to 9 feet tall. Can you post a picture? My tomato wall from last year:Plant Forum

Charles - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

Suebee  Send Suebee a private message!

Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 08:22 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

WOW!

Suebee - California, Zone "7a "

Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 12:46 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Nine foot tomato plants! WOW! Mine are teeny tiny sprouts still in a 4 inch pot.

Dazie - Kansas, Zone "?"

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 03:47 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Aileen, rest assured, yours will become much larger. What kind do you have?

Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 05:08 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Well, some of them are Black Zebra, and some may be beefsteak. I saved the seeds from some organics I got from a local farmer last season. Unfortunately, I didn't mark them. *lol*

Dazie - Kansas, Zone "?"

Euphorbphreak  Send Euphorbphreak a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:03 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Charles, that is a fantastic tomato wall! What are your pruning tips? I have indeterminates, mainly Russian heirlooms (since they take our chilly nights well).

Dazie, tomatoes are basically weeds and grow like them. You can thin them now (I assume you mean one to a 4" pot for example). I usually plant mine out when they are 6" tall or so to give them a headstart against the earwigs :)

David, the other CA, 10/17

Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 07:41 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

OK- I'll hold off on putting the babies in the ground for a bit.

My other plants are growing like gangbusters. Yay! I bought some Cherokee Purple and Black Russian seedlings at the farmer's market about a month ago and planted them with crossed fingers. (Man that was hard!)

Dazie - Kansas, Zone "5?"

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 12:29 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

David, truth is, I have never pruned my tomato plants, but I am getting tired of the work involved in having really tall plants. My record was a sweet cherry tomato that I helped grow to 14 feet by attaching string to its top and tacking the string to a second floor windowsill. LOL! I have non-digital pictures that I should scan sometime. I did find lots of good info online. For example: http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00031.asp

I love heirlooms. On another thread, I noted that this season I have Aunt Gertie's Gold, Garden Peach, Purple Calabash, Sweet Baby Girl Cherry, Sun Gold, Tommy Toe Cherry, Black Cherry, Roma Classica, Copia, Roman Candle, Orange Strawberry, Pineapple, Black Pear, Black Brandywine, Italian Giant Beefsteak, Goliath and German Giant in the ground.

Some pickings from last year:
Plant Forum

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 01:43 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

HOLY SMOKES!

That makes me hungry just looking at it!

Dazie - Kansas, Zone "5?"

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 10:09 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Charles...whats the name of the one on the bottom right..the dark colored cherry? And the bigger dark red one, top left (below the silver bowl)?

This year I have Siberia, Fabulous, Celebrity, Ruby, Sungold (doesn't it have a neat taste!), Sweet Million, Brandywine and Mortgage Lifter. If I had the space I'd be an heirloom tomato growing fool like you.

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com