Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Strawberries

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Strawberries « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andy_p  Send Andy_p a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 06:41 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Finally, the rain has stopped and the sun actually came out...
I ate the first ones, these are almost the first,

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 07:07 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Excellent, Andy! I grew them for a while, but given my small backyard, I decided to start picking them at a local farm. Nothing quite like a strawberry from your own garden, however. ;-)

Charles - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 02:21 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Oh yum . . . Looks GREAT! Our only local strawberry farm closed down several years ago . . This came from their last year in business ..

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 06:59 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks Guys, I can't see myself without strawberries in the garden. I really like the smaller 'day neutral' Tristars, they are tamer than these June bearers and they spread the harvest over the whole season rather than just a few weeks.
A new Tristar bed is doing fine and will produce later this year and for the next few seasons, too. My old patch is now 4 years old and on it's way out.
I picked 2 quarts of Junes today and they are just starting.

Greg, do you remember the old Boons Farm Strayberry wine? I hope your local winery makes a better product than that,

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:03 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Well . . the "local winery" would be my basement and yes, it's better than Boone's Farm! I picked 25 pounds to make this batch.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 06:42 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Greg, I picked about 8 pounds yesterday, How much wine could I make with that? Just kidding.

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 06:56 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I picked a few more pounds this morning, in the heat.

I'm almost up to my quota for the freezer, the neighbors love me this week, LOL

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 09:58 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Wow and I thought I was picking a lot. How much space do you devote to your strawberries Andy? So far I have made strawberry bread, strawberry ice cream, strawberry crepes, strawberry shortcake. Now onto strawberry pie and strawberry jam. If you don't make wine what will you do with all of yours?

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 10:52 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Suzy, I freeze a lot, eat a ton when fresh and give the rest away. I'm going to the food bank tomorrow with 2 big bags.
I have 3 beds, two have merged into one impenetrable quagmire. They are the 'old' beds and a new bed for next year (hardly showing at the top of this pic.)

What my patch looked like a month ago. The tall ones in the lower 2/3 of this pic are June bearers, too much-too fast.

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 11:03 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

A strawberry forest! I have probably 1/10 of yours (or less) and they cannot be allowed to go any further or they will be in the flowers. Most of mine are June bearers, but I do have some everbearers too.

That is good of you to share with the foodbank. I hope to freeze some as well for later. But only when I get tired of eating them fresh!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 11:36 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Fresh is best, Suzy. Have you made a Cobbler yet?

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 11:48 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

No...do you have a tried and true recipe you would care to share

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:37 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I was afraid you'd ask that, LOL.

My moms old Bisquick recipe.

FRUIT COBBLER
Heat 3 cups berries or peeled/sliced fresh fruit with 2/3 cup sugar and 1 cup water. Blend in 1 tablespoon corn starch dissolved in a little cold water. Cook for 3 minutes. Pour into buttered 1 1/2 to 2 quart baking dish. Dot with 1/2 tablespoon butter and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
Busquick dough:
1 1/4 cup Bisquick
1/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon softened butter
Blend all together until smooth, add a touch more milk if needed.
Drop by tablespoon onto fruit mixture.
Bake at 400 for 25 - 30 minutes.
Cool at least 30 minutes.
Serve with a little light cream or half & half on top.

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:51 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks Andy! I will definitely give it a try. You planted a seed in my head and I had to have cobbler tonight, so I went ahead and tried my families peach cobbler recipe but used the strawberries instead. I am afraid its not the healthiest, but certainly very tasty

Fruit Cobbler II
1/2 cup margarine or butter (I figure this could be cut in half..or more)
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 cups of chopped strawberries (or one can of peaches) sprinkled with 1/4 cup sugar.

Preheat oven to 375°. Melt butter in casserole dish. Mix together milk, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Pour in casserole dish, mix with butter, then pour strawberries on top. Bake for 30 minutes or until done.

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 01:08 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I forgot to mention a really great tip that I found when looking for strawberry recipes recently on the internet. The suggestion was to use an egg slicer for strawberries (after hulling). I tried it tonight and I have to say I will never slice another strawberry with an knife again. It worked like a charm.

Greth  Send Greth a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 11:13 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

The internet is magic for recipes, isnt it? Its winter here, so our strawberries are only just surviving, very depressing, but hoping for great things come spring/summer!

Greth - South Australia, Zone "?"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com