Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Eggplant

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Eggplant « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 01:09 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

The first flower:
Plant Forum

Charles - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 09:55 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

And such a pretty flower. I bought an unknown eggplant last year from a plant sale at work. I ended up with eggplants the size of my thumb. I was dumbfounded (even heartbroken). I don't know if it was the variety or if I just can't grow them here. I was so scared it was the latter that I chose not to plant any this year. I will just live vicariously through you! And try again next year...maybe...

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 11:18 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

It's a drop dead gorgeous photo, Charles! Can't wait to see the fruit.

Suzy, it's possible you had one of the small varieties. Did they taste good?

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 11:27 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Greg wrote on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 09:30 pm:

Did they taste good?

I hang my head in shame and say...I didn't even try them. I had one plant..3 teeny weeny eggplants. When I said thumb..picture the top part of a very short thumb (mine!). They were no more than an inch long. If I had peeled them there wouldn't have been anything left. I suppose I should have just tried sauteing them as they were. Instead, I just set them on my counter and stared at them until they went bad.

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 04:59 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Suzy, you should give it another whirl. This year I am growing three kinds: A medium sized purple one, a purple/white one, Bianca di Rosa (both Italian) and a long thin Japanese variety. I love eggplant, especially as eggplant parmesan with a nice tomato sauce and pasta...oh, yes, and some wine. It is still early enough. Check out this page, scroll down: http://www.tastefulgarden.com/Vegetable+Plants-cat-5.html

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 06:08 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I love the flavor of the Japanese eggplant. Somehow everything I make from larger ones comes out bitter -- even after salting and soaking and draining, etc etc etc. It's just me. I can't cook eggplant.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Kniphofia  Send Kniphofia a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 09:18 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I bought a six pack of eggplant plants the other day, I think the variety is Dusky. I've not grown them before but love the fruits so thought I'd give them a try.

The plants have lots of flowers. I think I'll pot a couple and plant the rest in the ground and see what happens.

Plant Forum

Kniphofia - Maine, Zone "4"

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 01:43 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Charles wrote on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 03:11 pm:

you should give it another whirl.

Oh I will! I love them too much to not try again. Eggplant Parmesan is what I usually order when I eat Italian at a restaurant. I like the looks of Bianca di Rosa! Maybe I will try her next year.

I found the following link for Li'l Darling (scroll down) that looks very much like the one I had. Cute little thing but GRRRRRRR! I had one silly plant. It was comical.

http://www.amishlandseeds.com/eggplant.htm

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 09:52 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

That is a lovely flower, Sue!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com