Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Kohlrabi

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Kohlrabi « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andy_p  Send Andy_p a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 05:54 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

The heat has made these grow fast, doubling in size in a week.
I picked 2 last night. Yummy. Steamed and served with butter.
Kohlrabi 'Kolibri Hybrid'

They are a deep purple once the 'haze' is rubbed off. The flesh is white.

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

Dazie  Send Dazie a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 07:10 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Wow. That looks like something an alien would eat. *lol*

Dazie - Kansas, Zone "5?"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 07:12 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

That's looking great! I really must plant some of this next year.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 08:22 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Greg, Why wait? They are quick, 60 days from direct seeding.
I feel it's the 'forgotten' vegetable. It's so versatile too. Wonderful raw with dip, super crunchy.
I brought some to a party once as part of a veggie tray. They were a hit, sliced 'Julienne'.

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

Nibbs  Send Nibbs a private message!

My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 09:20 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I absolutely agree, Andy. Our whole family loves kohlrabi and it's so easy to grow. We like them raw or cooked. I've used them in stir fries and salads.

Diane British Columbia Zone 7b

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 11:16 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Do you cut the tentacles of the space alien off or cook that too?

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 11:16 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hmm, if it grows that fast, I may be able to get a harvest before the snow flies! Now I know what to plant after I harvest my garlic in mid July.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 11:31 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Nibbs, Have you ever added them to stews or cacciatore, very nice.
Suzy, I only eat the flesh of the bulb after I peel it, the leaves are good as 'greens' I'm told.
Greg, sounds like a plan to me. I'm sure you will enjoy them. Like Broccoli, they can take a light frost. Most varieties are green skinned.
'Early Vienna' is very fast at 50 days but you can't let them get too big, good for a Fall crop.

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:56 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Andy, is there much of a flavor difference between the green ones and the purple ones or is it just aesthetic?

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 10:47 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Greg, I haven't noticed much difference in flavor, green or purple. This variety is nice because it can get a bit larger without getting 'woody'. The bottom near the root can get pretty hard on mature fruit, just cut it off.
A few years ago I went on a 'purple' theme, I searched for any vegetable that was available in purple, beans, peppers etc. I thought they looked cool.

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 03:50 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Beautiful kohlrabi, Andy! I have never grown the purple, but I like your idea, Greg, of planting some, once the garlic is harvested. I tend to use it in soups or stir-fries. Time to order some seeds: Kolibri and Early Purple Vienna, an heirloom. I also notice that there is a 50 day variety: Early White Vienna.

http://www.felcopruners.net/Kohlrabi%20Seed.0.html

Charles - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 06:06 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I just ordered mine from Johnny's Seeds - the purple and green . . did not go for the white.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com