Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Growing melons

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Growing melons « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tomsmith  Send Tomsmith a private message!

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 08:08 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

this is my first vegetable garden, starting small, have some sweet corn which is doing very well, a couple watermelon plants and a couple muskmelon plants, but i have a problem, there just doesn't seem to be a lot of bees around here to help with the pollination of the melons, and i was wondering if there was some way i could pollinate the melons myself

Tomsmith - ohio, Zone "5a or 5b"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 08:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I would not expect you to have a problem with pollination. Are you sure there are no bees? Keep in mind, early in the melon vine life, all the flowers are male and will not set fruit. Female flowers show up a bit later. I think this is nature's way of allowing the plant to be well established before spending energy to produce melons. Male flowers have a much smaller melon-like-thingy than females and they will just fall off. I would be patient. If you really have a problem with pollination, you can certainly take pollen from the male flower and brush it on the female flowers. I would use a soft paint brush to do that.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 08:49 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I believe it is the muskmelons that are flowering,seems to have happened within a few hours, checked them in the a.m., and nothing, checked again later that day and there were several that had opened. Now, would I be able to save the male flowers and use them to pollinate the female flowers, or do the flowers have to be alive and on the vine? I've put a lot of work into it and would hate for it to come to nothing, especially now that I have bragging rights with my friends for how well our gardens are doing, lol.

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:41 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Tom, your plant should produce new male flowers to pollinate the females. I think you are probably worrying too much.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:51 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

thanks for the info Greg, and you're probably right about worrying too much, keep having to remind myself that they've only been in the ground for a month and started from seed, but are growing very well, my watermelons are already starting to pop, can see a bunch of pea sized fruit on the vines. the corn is also doing very well, planted at the same time as the melons, are already 4+ feet tall and the pollen fronds(?) are coming in very strong. I'll post a pic as soon as i can find my camera, lol. This is my first year of gardening, and i appreciate your help and patience.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com