Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Swiss Chard

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Swiss Chard « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 02:36 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

How tall should I let it get before I harvest? I probably only planted enough for one meal. One plant has kind of jumped higher than the others. I like the way it looks and was thinking maybe I will just let it get tall and forget eating it. But DH has other ideas

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 08:43 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

If it starts to grow tall, it is probably bolting. That is a flower stalk that is growing up tall. The plant will start putting energy into producing seeds. Usually when lettuces, chard, and other greens bolt, the leaves become more bitter and not great for eating.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:26 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Looks great, Suzy! Cut off the outer leaves 1 1/2 inches above the ground when they are young and tender (about 8-12 inches long). Be careful not to damage the terminal bud, at the center of the bottom of the growing rosette of foliage. It looks like it may be past the good eatin' point.

Charles - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 03:22 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

There is only one that has bolted like this, so I suppose its time to eat the rest. Charles, when you say cut off the leaves and don't damage the middle..does that mean it will continue to make leaves and give me more food?

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 04:11 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

The undisturbed inner leaves should continue to grow, leaving you more to cut later on, kind of like lettuce coming back as you pick it.

Charles - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com