Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Nasturtium bugs

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Nasturtium bugs « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kalista  Send Kalista a private message!

Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 03:56 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have a problem with my nasturtium, that is, there are black bugs, I think it is Pollen Beetle(s), what can I do???
And what should I do?
It all started when I noticed (yesterday) pollen beetle on sweet pea, an in one day, nasturtium was full as well.
Could it harm my climbing iceberg (standing next to it)?
Thanx for your time

Kalista - Schleswig-Holstein, Zone "7"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 01:28 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

They sound like Pollen Beetles. Try an insecticidal soap. Nasturtiums are a trap crop, usually intended to lure insects from a crop that you want to protect. For example: You could use them along cucumbers plants, so that cucumber beetles do not harm them. The upshot of this, however, is that the nasturtiums turn into the more attractive plants to eat. Once they are infested, they are usually dug up, not eaten and thrown in the compost heap.

Charles - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com