Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Corn and melons at 5 weeks

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Corn and melons at 5 weeks « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tomsmith  Send Tomsmith a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 09:22 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Plant is 5 weeks, started from seed, the one on top is about the size of a tennis ball, the lower is a bit bigger than a golf ball, vine is 10ft. long, and mmmmmm, cant wait for them to be finished.

Started the corn same day as the melons, counted 25 ears that have silked on 15 stalks.

Wish I had done more research on how big the melon plants actually get, think i may have underestimated just a bit, lol

Tomsmith - ohio, Zone "5a or 5b"

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 10:40 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

The melon looks great, Tom. Yes, melon spread out quite a bit. The good thing about that is that you grow more melons. The corn looks very cool fenced like that. Welcome to GB! You will find that there are a lot of very knowledgeable, nice and talented people here. Stick with gardeing. It looks like you have green thumbs!

Charles - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

My Weather
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:13 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks Charles, this is my first time growing a garden and I'm a bit obsessive about it so I decided to check out some forums for tips and help. I decided to start small in case things didn't work out. Going to bring it out another 20 feet this fall and prep it for the spring. Want to try some different things next spring, tomato, peppers, maybe some onions. Hope things turn out as good next year.

Yeah, I like the fence too, decided not to go with the usual chickenwire fence since I live in the middle of the city close to the downtown area and don't have to worry about rabbits, moles, etc., the stray animals take care of those, although I have seen some whitetails around less than a mile away which is pretty cool considering where I live.

My muskmelons are just starting to fruit, have a few walnut sized ones, but my batteries died in my camera or I would have posted those too.

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 01:04 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

WOW, that looks great. I haven't tried melons here. Are you saying that is only 5 weeks from planting the seeds? Maybe I can try it in my northern climate. It looks like you have some room to let them sprawl across the grass.

I have grown corn before, but gave up as I found the yield for the space was not what I hoped and I have so many things I want to grow. You'll enjoy your added space next year. I usually till my garden good in the fall adding lost of compost. Then it's ready for planting first thing when the snow thaws in the spring.

Welcome to the edibles forum!

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 06:30 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks, and I meant to say 6 weeks, sorry, and yes they were started from seed. The corn is an early sugary sweet enhanced, 66 days from seed to harvest, going to plant a few different kinds next year so I can enjoy it for more than a couple weeks.

This was taken June 30.

This is a little better view of the ears taken today.

Yummy

Dazie  Send Dazie a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:08 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have melons too, I keep shoving them back into their spot. (also underestimated!) A few pingpong melons starting, I'm very excited!

Yours look yummy already- bite sized!

Dazie - Kansas, Zone "5?"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com