Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
GARLIC HARVEST!!! :-)

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » GARLIC HARVEST!!! :-) « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 02:17 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

What a satisfying garlic harvest! This is my second year growing it and this year is more than double that of last.

More photographs at:

http://www.charles.gardenbuddies.com/gallery/album02?page=3

Charles - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

Monique  Send Monique a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 02:47 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Charles..the photographs are exquisite and my mouth is watering..What will you do with most? Do you braid? Preserve? Pickle?

Again..I love the photos will go look at your gallery..

Monique Quebec Zone 5

Deanneart  Send Deanneart a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 02:56 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Wow!!!! What are you going to do with that much garlic??? It looks wonderful. I can smell it in a saute pan with onion. Yum!

Deanne New Hampshire Zone 5

Gardenbug  Send Gardenbug a private message!

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 03:03 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

How do you keep it over the long haul? Mine doesn't last all that long. I guess jars of pesto is the answer....good for Christmas gifts too!

Gardenbug - Ontario, Zone "4/5"

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 03:22 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I definitely have to try some garlic! But on a much smaller scale. So I am going to play dumb. Earlier you said you plant them like flowering bulbs in the fall. So...each of those big garlics came from a small bulb right??? Man..that was a lot of garlic bulb planting. And a lot of choppppppping. But I know it tastes oh so good. I have a huge Sam's club size container of the chopped stuff in my frig. I use it for virtually every meal. I'm lazy. No chopping involved.

Your garlic looks divine Charles

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

My Garden
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 03:37 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thank you ladies! I do not braid, since, as Greg noted, the hardneck variety (good for those of us in a northern climate) is not predisposed to braiding. In a cool, dark and dry space, it lasts about 8 months, if it is not consumed first. Where will it all go? General cooking, in canned tomatoes and other vegetables, a few gifts and, of course, pesto. Oh, and I will mostly likely reserve the best for this falls planting. I really love garlic and will always be grateful to Greg for having walked me through my first year. Thanks again, Greg!

My Garden
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 03:52 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Suzy! Yes, you plant them in the fall before frost about 3-4 inches deep in loose soil with the pointed end of the clove pointing up. It is also a good idea to cover them with a few inches of leaves or mulch to protect them during winter. While I cure it all, I can tell you that, just as tomatoes and cucumbers directly from the garden, fresh garlic barely compares to that from the store. You can grow as many bulbs as there are cloves (the larger, the better) in the original bulb and there are some great sites online for all sorts of varieties of organic garlic. Now that it is curing, I am elated and will probably use some with jumbo shrimp tonight. Mmmmm!

Dahlianut  Send Dahlianut a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 05:38 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Charles--what a great harvest. In the spring there is always garlic for sale the same time as seed potatoes. I'm taking a wild guess here that, that is not the type of garlic that you plant. I wouldn't think it would stay good till fall. Does the garlic have to have anything special done to the soil when you plant it?
I have heard that if you plant it in your flower beds the moles will stay out of them?? Have you heard that??

Linda Washington State Zone 8

My Garden
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 06:55 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Linda and thank you! Garlic likes lots of fertilizer. I usually just loosen the soil and add some compost. You can grow garlic from the store, but the results will probably not as good. Best to start with some organic seed garlic.

Yes, plant a garlic clove beside a plant that you want to protect and pests of all kinds will stay away, but do not plant it near peas. You might want to consider castor oil, which, while harmless to the environment and non-target organisms (I grow organically), lasts three months and contaminates the mole's food making it cause intestinal distress. This discourages the mole from feeding in those areas and they will move on to seek food elsewhere. There are also organic garlic and soybean oil repellers that you simply drop in their holes.

Tomsmith  Send Tomsmith a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 07:47 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Looks great Charles, think I will try some for next year. What about growing from seed? A friend of mine has a few seed pods and gave one to me, was wondering how I would go about growing them. Plant them this fall and cover them with straw and such, or wait till the spring?

Tomsmith - ohio, Zone "5a or 5b"

My Garden
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 08:29 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks, Tom. Since true seeds are not produced by the garlic plant, cloves of the bulb are used for propagation, usually referred to as seed garlic. You can grow garlic any time, but to cultivate bulbs, you need to plant before fall's frost and offering them some kind of covering is a good idea.

Terryk  Send Terryk a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 11:31 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Wow! That's beautiful. How many cloves did you start with to reap this bounty?

Terryk - NY, Zone "6"

My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 02:31 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Terry! I started with 120 cloves and ended up with as many bulbs. That is not to say that there were not a few that did not do well and were small, but the the rate of success was spectacular.

I just looked at your garden buddies album for the first time. Fantastic stuff there!

Terryk  Send Terryk a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 08:20 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks Charles, I may not be able to get that many in but I could give over some of my hellebore space to some. I may have to research this more....

Terryk - NY, Zone "6"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 09:13 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

That looks great, Charles! Worth all the effort.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Starzgarden  Send Starzgarden a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 09:53 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

These photos are just beautiful,Charles! Lots of good info here as well.Thanks.

Starzgarden - Michigan, Zone "five"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com