Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
My 1st Leaf Casting. What do you think?

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Decorating Your Garden-Archives » My 1st Leaf Casting. What do you think? « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dosaye  Send Dosaye a private message!

My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 03:14 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I did this based on tons of info & photos here. I have yet to clean the edges but I think it turned out great. I shall paint it once it cures. This was a juvenile leaf I took from one of my EE's. I did a Caladium this am so it is setting up right now. I hope it comes out as good as this EE did for me.
I am proud of myself. I learned it here.

Dosaye - Florida, Zone "zone 9a"

Birdgarden  Send Birdgarden a private message!

My Garden Journal
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 04:53 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Great job! I have always wanted to try these and you have inspired me. . .

Birdgarden - MN, Zone "4"

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 05:07 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Great job. I have wanted to try one too. Must get off my tu-tu and make one for myself.

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 05:49 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

This is my first so If I can do it anyone can..lol. Now I am hooked. I have some large EE's that have huge leaves I will cast small leaves til I get the hang then try the big boys for a fountain later when I feel safe.
I used dry cleaner plastic bag laid over sand,then apply the cement, covered with remainder plastic bag & let set up. This leaf was very easy to take off this am.
Dh is going to shake his head at another hobby.
I will trial & error til I get the hang of it. Painting them is more up my alley.

Serenitybench  Send Serenitybench a private message!

Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 01:39 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

KEWL! So . Share with us newbies where you found your info.& Where are you going to put them ? How many are you going to make. ? Very nice!

Serenitybench - I can almost see Your garden from My garden!, Zone "5a"

Starzgarden  Send Starzgarden a private message!

Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 06:37 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

These are so much fun! Yours is great,Shellie. I've done rhubarb leaves and loved the results. Please keep posting more of your creations.

Starzgarden - Michigan, Zone "five"

Wvgal  Send Wvgal a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 11:52 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Beautiful job!! If this is your first attempt I can't wait to see more!!! Anxious to see your painting as it is not my strong suit.
Please post them all so we can admire.

WVgal WV6

Sunnyday2day  Send Sunnyday2day a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 12:59 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Wvgal wrote on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:04 am:

Beautiful job!! If this is your first attempt I can't wait to see more!!!

Ditto! :)

Sunnyday2day - Michigan, Zone "5"

My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 06:20 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Ok, I have painted the EE posted above. What do you think? I plan to use it as a birdseed feeder.

Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 07:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

looks nice. We have an arts fest this weekend and there are 2 people listed that do this. I am interested to see what they have done. I have seen what you have done in magazines. thats it. you do nice work.
Are they real delicate?

My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 08:04 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Serenitybench wrote on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 05:51 pm:

This one is my very first and it's approx. 1" thickness throughout.
I hope to make more enough for a pathway. I have 4 curing right now.
Thank you for your compliments.
Shellie

Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 08:18 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

You can WALK on those? WOW! Thats great.

Starzgarden  Send Starzgarden a private message!

Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 07:36 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

You did a wonderful job painting it Shellie! Looking forward to seeing more.

Starzgarden - Michigan, Zone "five"

Wvgal  Send Wvgal a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 01:21 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Starzgarden wrote on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 05:48 am:

You did a wonderful job painting it Shellie!

You certainly did! Want to see more!!!!

WVgal WV6

My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 03:45 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

This is a caladium leaf. I just finished painting it. I think for the stepping stones using reinforcement of rabbit cage wire cut to fit the leaf before applying the crete mix & applying the crete mix at least 1.5" to 2" thick will make good casted leaves for a pathway.
The EE & Caladium leaves are just trials & I will just use them out in different gardens, I am still trying to teach myself how to do these so I can make some for the pathway I have in mind.
What is your overall opinion of the look & the increased thickness for stepping stone?

Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 06:59 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

????? that l@@ks real. Really real. I don't understand. HOW did you get it to look like that/ WOW> I hope you are selling these for Mega $$$$ , Very beautiful. How did you learn to do these?

My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 07:22 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Serenity,
As for the painting, I tried to simulate the actual [lant colors itself. I had to mix paints together & still was off color to the green, Base paint, dry brushing & then the lines is all I did, The back is unpainted to finish curing.
I dont know of a soul that would buy these near me. I live way out from major city. The thought is good though. To heavy to ship so I will just fill up the gardens with them.LOL. Thank you again,
Shellie

Birdgarden  Send Birdgarden a private message!

My Garden Journal
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 07:27 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Fantastic finished photos - now I really want to motivate myself to do one. In MN we don't have too many large leafed plants so lots of my friends have made them using rhubarb leaves - that is what I will try first.

Birdgarden - MN, Zone "4"

My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 07:33 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I

Birdgarden wrote on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 05:39 pm:

I would love to do a rhubarb leaf. But, yes there's a but, I have never grown Rhubarb, (love it in a pie though) No where here to get a plant or seed. WOuld love for someone to tell me how to get & grow one.
Thanks a bunch,

Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 07:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

You should look into an art show. REALLY. my sister was always going to shows when she lived in Fla. Mt. Dora? I believe. Look in your area. I am SURE you could find something.

My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 07:49 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Serenitybench wrote on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 05:51 pm:

I live approx. 35 miles NE of Mt.Dora. My mother was a police officer & we lived in Mt.Dora back in the late 60's through 1971. Too cool.

Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 12:29 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Well, we deal antiques and I KNOW people up "north" here are always talking going to Mt. Dora. and I also remember sis going to art shows around there too. Might be worth your while to do a LookieLoo.Just a thought. they are very nice looking on here. I dnt think you would have trouble selling them at all. What do you GB'ers think?

Cooper  Send Cooper a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 06:41 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Interesting I have never heard of this before and I cant believe they arent real?

Cooper - NSW, Australia, Zone "Warm Temperate"

Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 09:17 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Cameok,Post a photo of your area so we can help you. My vote is Ruby Star (more intense color than the Magnus) and Black Eyed Susans, Gotta love it. Easy to grow. they spread nicely. you can fill in with annuals, and Taa~Dah. lots of color. I have them everywhere. They make me

Denise_tx  Send Denise_tx a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 05:09 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

WOW! What an amazing job!!! Can you come by and teach me now? LoL....That's something I would love to try!
Thanks for the inspiration!

Denise_tx - Texas, Zone "Zone 9"

Donna504  Send Donna504 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 10:56 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Could you please please please share how you went about it with the paint? Like the EE...did you paint it yellow first then green and the Caladiums what color did you start with first? Also what kind of sealer to give them such gloss? I did my first leaves today. You would of thought I was about to do brain surgery. I was so intimidated at first. Then I just told myself "you can't make that bad of a mistake. I'll just paint over it". Then I began and Wha-la. I had a ball!! But a long way to go to get them that great looking. You don’t have any worries of me being your competition……..:)donna

Donna504 - Michigan, Zone "zone 6/5" Click to hear a voice greeting from Donna504

Karalyn  Send Karalyn a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 07:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Wow, they are amazing! Great Job!

Karalyn Idaho Zone 6

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com