Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Tomatoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Tomatoes!!!!!!!!!!!!! « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 03:07 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I ate the first few..but these finally made it inside for their photography session. The larger one is Siberia and the little one is Sweet Million. The bigger ones have a ways to go!

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 10:38 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

They are such gracious and poised models, Suzy! I have not grown Siberia, but have enjoyed Sweet Millions many times and, boy, are they sweeeeeet! Almost like organic candy. Soon I will post a photo of my tomato "wall," an annual occurrence here. I am growing two plants each of three kinds of cherries in the wall and two of one kind in large pots:

Plant Forum
Sun Gold: This variety has proven itself to be the best flavored small tomato with the highest brix sugar level of all. A small golden cherry tomato with flavor that is very sweet and fruity. A bright orange color make these a great mix with Grape tomatoes in salads. 57 days.

Plant Forum
Tommy Toe Cherry: A fantastic Heirloom from Australia with a wonderful flavor. Resistant to cracking and diseases. Huge plants produce large quantities of small sized fruit all season long. Very easy to grow. 70 days.

Plant Forum
Black Cherry: A cherry tomato with the flavor of the rich, dark, black tomatoes. These are a round true cherry about 1 1/2" diameter and they make great garden snacks. One of my favorite tomatoes, these large bushy plants grow up to 8' tall. 65 days.

Plant Forum
Sweet Baby Girl Cherry: A smaller more controllable sized plant produces tons of sweet flavorful fruits but the plants only grow to about 4 feet tall. Perfect for containers and Earthboxes. Dark red fruits grow in long clusters and are sweet and flavorful. 65 days.

The first three are over 7 feet tall now and all 4 should start producing lots soon. I will try to remember Siberia next year. What are its characteristics? Did it become a BLT?

Charles - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 01:16 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Not quite big enough for a BLT. I would say its smaller than a Roma but obviously larger than a cherry. It has a very thick wall..meaty I guess and a mild flavor. Not as juicy and flavorful as the ones later in the year will be, but wayyyy better than the grocery store hothouse ones. The fact that its red and we put planted them in June is what thrills me.

I will have Sun Gold too. I loved them last year. Definitely a difference in taste from the Sweet Millions and as you pointed out very sweet (and juicy).

The plant I have right now which is the most floriferous is Ruby. I don't think I have ever seen a tomato plant more covered in blooms. I have read that the fruit are very small...currant size. Looking forward to tasting that one.

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

My Garden
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 01:57 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have not grown currant varieties, but have tasted them and they are very very sweet. They are among the oldest and wildest of varieties. You also get a kajillion of them. I bought some Red Currant seeds for next year. Let me know how yours turn out.

Andy_p  Send Andy_p a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 06:37 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

My Berpees '4th of July' are giving me lime sized red fruit every day now. Nice extra early ones, a favorite here.

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

Andy_p  Send Andy_p a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 09:29 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I had to take a pic of these 4th of July. They were left over seedlings I kept re-planting into larger pots. Yesterday I gave up and planted them in the ground.

I'm going to experiment with letting them grow on over-turned trays rather than staking.

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

My Garden
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 12:47 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Those look oh so healthy, Andy. I think that your experiment will work just fine. For the first time, I am using 8' bamboo to stake my tomatoes. Stronger and longer lasting that typical pine stakes. I am always amazed at my 86 year old next-door neighbor, Gert. She lets her tomatoes just do their thing. No stakes, no nothing and she grows beautiful fruit. I think that growing vegetables is like fishing: one develops a "feel" for it. I bet those 4th of July will be great.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com