Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
There was this melon once.....

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » There was this melon once..... « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tomsmith  Send Tomsmith a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 11:38 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

There was this melon once, living in my garden, not a care in the world. It had lots of food, water, sun and the loving attention of its owner. Had everything necessary to grow up and be a responsible productive melon. Then one day it decided it knew what was best and went to make its way in the world. And, like most melons at that age it thought it knew everything and was grown up enough to make it on its own. But alas that was not the case. On the outside he looked mature enough, but on the inside he still had a lot of growing up to do.

Very odd, or just me being impatient, not sure which. it showed every sign of being ripe: the grasping tendril closest to it was dried up, brown and shriveled, the spot where it was resting on the ground was yellow in color not a hint of white, and it had no stripes visible to me, the rind was a deep green and had a waxy coating on it, could tell where i touched it. From what i've read here and other places it showed all the outward signs of being ripe. I cut it open and my heart dropped. Barely a hint of pink in the white unripe flesh.

Alas poor melon, I barely knew thee.

Tomsmith - ohio, Zone "5a or 5b"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooper  Send Cooper a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 06:50 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Dont you just hate that, melon would have to be my favorite food.

Cooper - NSW, Australia, Zone "Warm Temperate"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com