Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Today's Peppers & Tomatoes

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Today's Peppers & Tomatoes « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 12:24 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Things are really starting to explode in my vegetable garden.

I picked a dozen of these Sweet Banana Peppers today (chicken fajitas tomorrow):

I also found 7 Romas:

And about 4 dozen Tommy Toe Cherries:

Charles - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

Cooper  Send Cooper a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 12:32 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Yum they look great Charles

Cooper - NSW, Australia, Zone "Warm Temperate"

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 01:17 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Oh Yummmmmmmmmmmy! I love banana peppers and I love fajitas. When shall I come over?? I will make the sopapillas! I am kind of bummed about my peppers. I don't even have a pepper to speak of..tiny or not. Finally they are starting to flower, so maybe just maybe they will set some babies. The nights are just too cool here for some things I think.

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

Tumbleweed  Send Tumbleweed a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 02:07 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

...simply gorgeous!

all I have left are Tabasco peppers, they are doing really well, but the Romas have given up. My fall tomato plants are about one week away from digging in and making their run against Mr. Frost, which seems so far away now.

Tumbleweed - Texas, Zone "8A"

My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 04:18 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks guys and gal! You are welcome to join us, Suzy, but dinner starts at 7 pm central time tonight, so you better hop on a plane soon. Sopapillas sound and look great: http://home.comcast.net/~osoono/ethnicdoughs/sopapilla/sopapilla.htm I have never had them, but am always eager to add fat free items to my diet. Hehe. I am sorry to hear about your pepper plants, but where there are flowers, there is always hope.

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 04:36 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

The peppers look great . . . nice for fajitas I think. I'll definitely have to try that next year.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 01:35 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Sopapillas..yes...fat-free..sure whatever you say Charles! Sounds good to me :-) They are also easy to make and fun. You tear off one end and pour honey inside. Kind of like beignets if you've ever had those but different.

Looks like I missed dinner, but I'm sure it was fabulous.

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

Scotkat  Send Scotkat a private message!

My Garden Journal
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 11:08 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Charles Wow what can I say.
Your crop of peppers and tomatoes 1st Class Quality.
You could make a big pot of pepper and tomatoe home made soup.
Quality photographs too very good.

Scotkat - Scotland, Zone "?"

Gardenbug  Send Gardenbug a private message!

Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 12:16 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Those Tommy Toe Cherries wouldn't last 2 minutes in MY hand!

In the garden the first melons are beginning to look ripe, a few eggplants are looking good, lots of green peppers, but the tomatoes are very green too. :(

I think I need to try some medium hot peppers next year. Any suggestions?

Gardenbug - Ontario, Zone "4/5"

Ntrldy  Send Ntrldy a private message!

Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 12:05 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

If you have extra romas and tommy toes they can be washed, put in zip lock freeze bags, and be frozen until ready to turn them into juice or sauce. Just put frozen into pan, cook, and put thru a sieve to remove peels. They make delicious juice. Also with the larger tomatos I peel, slice, and freeze for later for soups or juice. This year the indeterminate Arkansas Traveler and Super Fantastic are doing 'wonderful' and I am freezing the extras.

Ntrldy - Oklahoma, Zone "6"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 02:32 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have 8 huge healthy green pepper plants and not a single pepper on them. This year has not been good for my peppers. I think it's actually too hot for them and the flowers have not set. I am pulling in a tomato every couple days. I wish I had more fruit on the vines.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

My Garden
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 12:03 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks guys! I have grown all sorts of peppers over the years, but this year I stuck to sweet: Italian Red Bell Pepper, Italian Yellow Bell Pepper, Nocera, Orange Sun Pepper, Purple Beauty Pepper, Topepo Sweet Peppers, Corno di Toro and Sweet Banana Pepper. The Tommy Toes only lasted long enough to take those photos, Marie. Freezing is great, Ntrldy, but I became a canner last summer. I am sure, Greg, that your extreme heat did not help matters. I hope things rebound for you.

Sunnyday2day  Send Sunnyday2day a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 09:16 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Charles, your produce looks wonderful! Do you take any to the Farmer's Markets? Since we don't grow veggies, we soooooo enjoy going there. We are so fortunate to live in the land of abundance!

Sunnyday2day - Michigan, Zone "5"

My Garden
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 06:26 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thank you, Tanya. Sell them? No way! I hoard them for myself, family and friends.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com